Reputable Shop/Individual for SAS on my 4Runner

Ok, looking for a reputable shop or individual to get an estimate on completing a solid axle swap on my 4Runner. This is still going to be my daily so I just want to make sure it is done right.

Maybe I have seen too many of the fab failure posts on Facebook and it just has me worried lol

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Didn't you just lift it? Are you not happy with it or did it break?

Honestly for what you would pay someone to do an SAS, you could leave it alone and buy an XJ...

Yeah, fresh lift. Already 2 torn cv axle boots and to be honest, the front rides great on road and OK on dirt roads. But as for trails, the rear axle is doing all the work. I really like the truck, just don't want to have to worry about lower ball joints failing consistently, cv axles breaking with moderate wheeling.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Sell the lift, take the money you would spend on the SAS and buy an XJ or a yota that someone has already swapped...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
This is a 3rd Gen right?

Just some quick figuring:
-Allpro 3 link kit- $1,400
-Allpro steering kit -$800
-axle, plus upgrades $200-???
-driveshaft $300
-shop time 10 hours? @$75/hr

Minimum $3,500? You could save some money by using leaves, but performance and ride would suffer. You could save money by not buying a kit, but it will cost more in labor...

Yeah, fresh lift. Already 2 torn cv axle boots and to be honest, the front rides great on road and OK on dirt roads. But as for trails, the rear axle is doing all the work. I really like the truck, just don't want to have to worry about lower ball joints failing consistently, cv axles breaking with moderate wheeling.
Don't remember from your previous thread but are you running a front diff drop? The cv boots on the cheapo cv axles from most part stores are crap it seems like these days.

How much did you lift the front of it?
Source manual hubs and axles from a 95.5-00 Tacoma, and drop the diff down.

You'll have a lot of money in a SAS if you get someone else to do it, i think a solid axle Toyota would be awesome, but i've never felt limited by the IFS considering i have to drive it everyday. That would quickly spiral downhill.

Wheelers offroad also sales boots that are supposedly really good. Always heard bad things about parts store boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid axle swapping a runner is a waste of money. Once you take on the wheeling it will do you will start blowing differentials.

Don't remember from your previous thread but are you running a front diff drop? The cv boots on the cheapo cv axles from most part stores are crap it seems like these days.
Yeah, I picked up the diff drop and installed it at the same time that I did the front lift.

This is a 3rd Gen right?

Just some quick figuring:
-Allpro 3 link kit- $1,400
-Allpro steering kit -$800
-axle, plus upgrades $200-???
-driveshaft $300
-shop time 10 hours? @$75/hr

Minimum $3,500? You could save some money by using leaves, but performance and ride would suffer. You could save money by not buying a kit, but it will cost more in labor...
You forgot the coilovers in the quote lol! Yeah, I checked out AllPro and it seems to be the kit to get if you are going linked.

How much did you lift the front of it?
Source manual hubs and axles from a 95.5-00 Tacoma, and drop the diff down.

You'll have a lot of money in a SAS if you get someone else to do it, i think a solid axle Toyota would be awesome, but i've never felt limited by the IFS considering i have to drive it everyday. That would quickly spiral downhill.
The front got lifted approximately 3". My hub measurements showed it being 3 and a 1/16th on both sides. I did look at getting rid of the ADD front diff setup and putting the taco manual hub setup on it. I have been reading over all kinds of build threads on a few sites and have seen pictures in almost every one of them with cv axles blown to bits. Someone mentioned stronger cv axles and then it started blowing differentials lol!

I parked next to a SAS'd Tacoma in Inman and that really sold me on getting rid of the IFS. In fact...that is probably why the boots ripped lol, truck looked great and was definitely wheeled!

Solid axle swapping a runner is a waste of money. Once you take on the wheeling it will do you will start blowing differentials.
I have no plans to take this thing to KOH and try to go up Backdoor lol! I am planning to keep it in the 35" tire range. If I could keep it low enough, would keep it on 33's.

As for getting a dedicated trail rig...no go. I live in an apartment complex that doesn't offer garage spaces. Not to mention my wife is the assistant manager so I am sure that wouldn't fly lol

Last edited:
What size tire are you running?

Only way I see blowing it up bad is wailing on it in a bind. I've seen a lot of ppl run 35s and 37s on stock shafts without problems. Finesse saves parts, redline puts on a show.

Do it. It will be cool but it wont be cheap. Trail gear makes a kit that's a little more affordable.

What size tire are you running?

Only way I see blowing it up bad is wailing on it in a bind. I've seen a lot of ppl run 35s and 37s on stock shafts without problems. Finesse saves parts, redline puts on a show.

Do it. It will be cool but it wont be cheap. Trail gear makes a kit that's a little more affordable.

Yeah, I don't do redlines.
The TG kit is tempting as well. I was checking out their multiple kits. Still can't see how they would charge 5K for a kit and still need parts for the included axle lol