Let's talk trail spares / tools

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
What do you carry with you for spare parts and tools? What are you prepared to change/fix on the trail without going back to camp for parts or tools?

With the Samurai, I carried spares for pretty much everything below the transmission in the trailer (intermediate shaft, tcase, both driveshafts, axle shafts, bearings, spindles, yokes, ujoint straps...) and the only thing I remember ever needing was one front shaft. In the rig I carried belts, hoses, u joints, and a basic tool set.

I don't have the luxury of keeping all my Jeep parts in a trailer now, so I'm trying to decide what to carry. I have front shafts without bearings, unit bearings with stubs, both driveshafts, and full steering. I plan to carry a unit bearing with stub and an axle tube plug in the jeep at all times, with the 13mm 12pt socket, ratchet, and hammer needed to pull a front shaft. The rest I plan to leave at camp, where I'll have a full tool set.

I have pretty much everything that it would take to tear apart the buggy tool wise in the buggy. It may not be the optimal tool but it could happen if it had to. The only parts I carry with me on the trail are U joints, bolts, etc. In the trailer I have some driveshafts and axle shafts. I figure I can get it to a point on the trail to get out of the way and get to it with a truck/trailer or get the parts needed.

When I had the 4Runner I carried a third member, driveshafts, and axle shafts.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I also put together a bag of common jeep hardware. One of each control arm bolts, track bar bolt, brake caliper bolt. I guess I need to keep a couple adjustables in the jeep. But as far as having tools to disassemble it, if I had to change a starter or alternator or anything like that, I wouldn't have the parts anyway. I'd still have to get a ride out, to a parts store, then pick up whatever I needed from camp.

Toyota has basic trail spares and tools to fix it or at least get back to camp. The trailer has everything but a motor, transmission, axle housings, and springs. Also have better tools and fluids at camp.

I am bringing all the sockets and wrenches I could possibly need for anything on the drive line. Spare fan belt and replacement fluids from diff to coolant. Might be getting a set of dana 30 shafts so at least two people in our group will have them if someone will need them.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I am bringing all the sockets and wrenches I could possibly need for anything on the drive line. Spare fan belt and replacement fluids from diff to coolant. Might be getting a set of dana 30 shafts so at least two people in our group will have them if someone will need them.
Well, between the two of us we should be good ;).

I also have fluids, but don't carry coolant. Would just use bottled water.

My bigger fear is something catastrophic that would prevent me from driving home. If I kersplode the front end I could at least pull both shafts and driveshaft and get home. Rear end I don't have any spares...

I also wanted this conversation to apply to things like the Poker Run, not just big trips. For a day trip like the poker run I wouldn't have any of my spare shafts, etc. A front shaft failure could be handled with the bearing and stub, but much more and I'd be done.

Well, between the two of us we should be good ;).

I also have fluids, but don't carry coolant. Would just use bottled water.

My bigger fear is something catastrophic that would prevent me from driving home. If I kersplode the front end I could at least pull both shafts and driveshaft and get home. Rear end I don't have any spares...

I also wanted this conversation to apply to things like the Poker Run, not just big trips. For a day trip like the poker run I wouldn't have any of my spare shafts, etc. A front shaft failure could be handled with the bearing and stub, but much more and I'd be done.
I will be following you a lot in Harlan if you are also driving your rig up. =) I also don't have any spare rear shafts which is a bit worrisome. I do carry a spare rear conversion joint for the 8.8 since that might be hard to find. For smaller trips I count on my triple A membership to tow me home if needed. I believe my level of membership has a 300 mile free towing radios.

I guess i will be playing with fire on this trip i dont have any spare parts. But i do have chromo in the front and stub if one breaks might grab a local part store unit bearing. But then agin im not driving mine up i will be towing to ky but not to poker run.

ill have a set of front shafts for a 60 at harlan in the truck is anyone needs some :) other then that im bringing a belt for the rzr i have no clue what to expect yet with it

I have mounts built for a unit bearing, half shaft, and two spare rear suspension links. Also places where I have a selection of bolts actually bolted to the rig that are there for spares. As far as tools I carry just what I need to pull the thing apart and put it back together. since I built it I was able to choose hardware sizes and tried to keep everything as common as possible. ie. my skid plate bolts are the same as my driveshaft bolts, my front a-arm bolts, my seat bolts, and my winch bolts. I can fully disassemble the rig, short of the motor and trans with only 8 wrenches. It makes things easier.

To be honest I did it more so I could buy fasteners in bulk to save money. It was just a bonus that it also meant fewer tools needed and fewer spares. I tried to make as much as possible symmetrical as well. That way half shafts fit all four corners. Same unit bearings and brakes at all four corners. I am not going to know what to carry when the commando is finished. Guess I will be back to a full toolbox and tons of spare shafts hidden everywhere.