Garage/shop: what chu got

Mel and I are on the house hunt for a place in the city limits of Greenville. My #1 on our list is a garage/shop space with yard of some sort #2. As you may imagine there is slim pickings for garage space in a lot of the areas we've looked.

Does anyone here have there garage under the house in the basement? Is it loud throughout the house when your using grinders and such? Seen a couple that I liked the space but worried it would be to loud.

Can anyone give a rough estimate of what it would cost for a 1 or 2 car detached garage?

I'm trying to avoid having to build anything as I know I'd never get around to it, but really just want a space for my tools, welders, and space to work on atleast 1 vehicle at a time. I'd love a lift of some type one day but who doesn't.

I know whatever I get into ill likely have to rewire to handle my tig and air compressor which isn't a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photo_11_zpsx6dnldmk.jpg
photo_21_zpszb5u4ljp.jpg

my detached garage is 22x31 with about 14 foot in the center of the ceiling. Concrete and full 200amp service
garage $6500
concrete $2500
electrical $2000

I have one bay in front and one on the side, makes it easy to get stuff in and out if you have a project taking up one side. i do wish i had made it a little longer just because i am greedy on room and have filled it up. But with a metal building you can add on :)
I spent a little more being OCD and seam sealed all metal sheets and put radiant barrier on the walls and ceiling (which did help take temps down)

I had a local outfit sell it to me, but they deal with carolinacarports and if you go to their website you can spec out your garage with all kinds of stuff.

Only thing i dislike is the roll up doors have the locks on the outside like a storage unit and the entry door is pretty cheesy PRetty much a mobile home door.
Oh and when it rains, it is loud, heck when it is drizzling it sounds like it is raining hard.

IIRC, we had about 12,500 in our shop wired up ready to work in. 30x30. It is not big enough. Build as big as you can fit/afford.

For the area you are looking in, I doubt you are considering a pole barn or metal building though. I have seen the fronts get bricked up on a pole barn and look really nice. Or do a accent color along the bottom...

I am about to add a section to mine for a hang out spot and a place for the car after Harlan. When I get that done I really want to change the door configuration on the big shop to the one small door and one really big door offset. Then do an accent color along the front lower sections to make it look better. In time, that will all take place.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
My house has a full basement with a little over half being the garage. It can be loud, but the garage is under the den/dining/kitchen end of the house, not the bedrooms, so it's not a big deal.

Advantage to it is temperature control. It pretty much stays 60-80 degrees with no hvac.

I've actually found a good many houses with garages. My eye is on one now with a detached 2 car in a good neighborhood. I've been considering paying more for a place with a garage already instead of a place without just so I'm not having to store my tools and crap away while I save up to build something.

I like what both of y'all have with the pad and metal building route. That's what I'll likely go with if I do end up having to build something and then outfit it from there. Having a dry place with a flat surface is my biggest criteria. I have a lot of tools and metal that are in my block building 2 car garage now that have surface rust from being damp that's a pain.

My house has a full basement with a little over half being the garage. It can be loud, but the garage is under the den/dining/kitchen end of the house, not the bedrooms, so it's not a big deal.

Advantage to it is temperature control. It pretty much stays 60-80 degrees with no hvac.
I was thinking your house was like that. I like that for sure being climate controlled. I saw a house yesterday that I would be working under the bedrooms which would eventually be an issue.

I wondered if the smell and smoke from welding would come through upstairs too, which could be contained somewhat with an extractor.

I'm about to start on building a pole barn. Doing it all myself.

30x30.

$5,000ish for materials.
$4,000ish for concrete.

That's doesn't include power.

I'll be building mine a little at a time. Poles and roof first. Then the floor and walls.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I was thinking your house was like that. I like that for sure being climate controlled. I saw a house yesterday that I would be working under the bedrooms which would eventually be an issue.

I wondered if the smell and smoke from welding would come through upstairs too, which could be contained somewhat with an extractor.
Never had an issue with smoke and smells. Every crack and crevice had to be sealed between garage and living space for inspection. The door into the house is an exterior door with good seals.

If you had hvac in the shop on the same system as the house, some could get in through the vents, but I do not.

I have a 32x32 with about 12’ ceiling at the peak and I wished a hundred times I had made it taller and longer. And I don’t use it for storage, only a work shop.

I live in a townhouse and have a 2 car garage underneath. It really depends on how the house was built. I'm fortunate to have amazing sound proofing in my house. Even when I run an impact, I get no complaints. My air compressor is loud as hell, but never catch any flak from the neighbors. I can hear the air compressor upstairs, but its pretty muted, especially if there is music or the TV on. My Air compressor sits under my work bench, if I would build the noise reducing enclosure like I keep saying I'm going to do, then I bet it would be a lot quieter.

The one issue I did have, was when all of the EVAP lines on my old car rotted off and it started to smell like gas. Also for those with a sensitive nose, my garage smells like gear oil, but whatever. So I'm very careful about venting the garage and making sure there isn't open containers of oil/fuel laying around. That seems to have fixed the problem...also getting rid of my "free car" seems to have helped as well.

I'll tell ya right now, if you want to do more than just light repair and maintenance, you need a lot of room. My DD has to take up one spot, so basically I've got 1 spot + a bit of extra room. If I had to do an axle swap, or drop a transmission or something, it would super suck.

I agree with that for sure. I've got a 2 car garage in my rental now and it quickly filled up. I've spent no time with organization with it which will be my big thing in the new place.

What y'all are saying y'all have into your shops is a lot less then I was guessing, I had no clue but guessed more in the 15-20k range. Makes me feel a little better if we find a place we like that doesn't have a useable space I'll plan for a garage build.

Anyone ever used a lift like this? I know it's not as nice as a 2 post but would take up less space and still be useable.
0b4ff066f2fd1b8ddcce015ad603408a.jpg

My father in law has been telling me for years he had a 1970 chevelle that was sitting at someone's house who was suppose to be working on it. 7 years later and the guy hasn't touched it and it's sat in the same spot where he dropped it off, so he's wanting me to get it and clean it up and do a few things to get it back to its glory. That's another reason I'd prefer to walk into something already built.
f3a61be57d53de67576b6297ad3dc392.jpg

I’ve looked at lifts like that a few times but the thing that holds me back is there will be a lot of parts under an automobile that will be blocked and obstructed by the lift itself.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Miller had one of those lifts for sale a few years ago. I considered it but decided against. It would be good for wheels/tires/brakes/axles, but anything underneath it would be in the way.

I’ve looked at lifts like that a few times but the thing that holds me back is there will be a lot of parts under an automobile that will be blocked and obstructed by the lift itself.
Ideally, I would love to have both a 4 post and a 2 post. I don't like working under 2 post lifts but 4 post doesn't help you with suspension work. I have pretty open access to a 4 post, but a 2 post would be handy at times.

i built a 30x36x12 stick built..i did everything myself minus the concrete and 10x10 insulated doors...doors cost 2100 installed..i did all the excavation myself but paid to have someone pour it. i think that cost me about 4000, metal roof 1100,siding was 2000 i paid my neighbor to do that. couple gs in wood

remember cash is king