Welder input

I want a MIG welder. I want something with more finesse and control for thinner material and easer cleanup. I would like to be able to weld at least 3/16 to ¼ with it and also use it for sheet metal as thin as 22 gauge. I have 110 and 220 in my shop so voltage is not an issue. And I have my own gas bottles so that is not an issue. What models seem to be performing well and have a good warranty?

I have a millermatic 175 and have been very happy with it. I picked it up gently used on Craigslist for $350 with a tank and gauges. I would say go 220 if you can, because it will let you weld the 1/4" steel with solid wire and gas and not need flux core.

I you are going new, it is hard to be the Hobart 170-210. Any of the larger welders will turn down enough for sheetmetal work. You will have to run a smaller wire for sheetmetal though. I usually run 0.025 for sheetmetal, 0.030 for most welding, and 0.035 when I need to really need to lay in some heat. I have been through a few Lincolns. 110 and 220V. I will be buying a Hobart to replace it. If you have the money or the luck to find one used I would always purchase a miller 220V unit.

I you are going new, it is hard to be the Hobart 170-210. Any of the larger welders will turn down enough for sheetmetal work. You will have to run a smaller wire for sheetmetal though. I usually run 0.025 for sheetmetal, 0.030 for most welding, and 0.035 when I need to really need to lay in some heat. I have been through a few Lincolns. 110 and 220V. I will be buying a Hobart to replace it. If you have the money or the luck to find one used I would always purchase a miller 220V unit.
I looked around and it looks like Hobart’s are easier to find and a little less $ than the Millers. Is there really a lot of difference in the two?

Similar parts, some even interchange, from what I have seen the go arts are the home mechanic version and the miller is more commercial grade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I have a Hobart 187. Have only ever used .030 wire and it does everything I need to do. I did blow holes in the bed of DJ'S toyota and just gave up, 0.025 probably would have been good.

I like the Millers bc of the adjustability of the voltage instead of the set 4 or 6 heat settings then fine tuning with the wire. Used a 211 alot in ATL and it was a great machine, new at about $1k, but they have rebate deals going on all the time. Lincoln's new MP-210 looks like a good buy as its a digital inverter machine and has a lot of cool option and features for the same $1k pricepoint, it also has the capabilities of DC stick and tig welding with the added tig package. Both of those machines are multi voltage so they can run off 110 or 220.

I've got a hobart 140 and its been good for what i usually need it for, but if you have 220 access, you'd regret not getting a bigger machine.

I do, its just sitting here in my car port collecting dust. Every one has seen what happens when I get going with a torch and welder. Its never good. Even get nervous with it near the Jeep. Im more of a bolt on part guy these days.
Its a Hobart 187, cart, bottle and a cheap hood. I'm open to a decent offer if your interested.

I do, its just sitting here in my car port collecting dust. Every one has seen what happens when I get going with a torch and welder. Its never good. Even get nervous with it near the Jeep. Im more of a bolt on part guy these days.
Its a Hobart 187, cart, bottle and a cheap hood. I'm open to a decent offer if your interested.
pm sent

When Dean's hot knife comes out they never live again. :flipoff2: