Thread: Took the kids to Jocassee Gorges and Jumping Off Rock

City
    Beech Island
    State
    SC

Took the kids to Jocassee Gorges and Jumping Off Rock

I took the boys up to Jocassee Gorges Wilderness Area in northwestern South Carolina yesterday. I have more scenery pictures than driving pictures, being that I was driving.

Here is a shot of the trail.

One of the little waterfalls.

Some of the scenery.

Achievement Unlocked: My first water crossing. My 9 year old did not want to stand on the rickety foot-bridge to take a picture of me crossing it, so you have to use your imagination.

View from Jumping Off Rock.

Some little dudes.

Another trail shot.

Some rocks.

City
    Seneca
    State
    SC
    You picked a great day to go.

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Great area, glad your boys enjoyed it!!
    --Brooks

City
    Hartsville
    State
    SC
    Some day I will make this trip. Just need a good running street-able 4x4 first!

City
    Beech Island
    State
    SC
    It was a good day, it stopped raining for a whole day and the sun came out!

City
    Irmo
    State
    SC
    Does anyone happen to have the schedule for when the various gates are open up there? If I recall correctly there are red and yellow gates. Last time I went, the yellow gates were closed (which was a bummer, because one of my favorite spots is down a yellow gated road).

City
    Beech Island
    State
    SC
    Red gates are always off limits. I thought the other gates were green, not yellow, but I could be getting this confused with the US Forest Service. Anyway, the seasonal gates are open Mid September to Mid January. I have the exact dates written at home, but I just embarked on a business trip and I won't be home until Friday.

Typed on a phone where my fingertip spans across three or four keys creating lots of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

City
    Irmo
    State
    SC
    I think you're right - the gates I'm thinking of are green. I was mistaking them for a more recent memory of a gate that blocked my access coming from Gorges south into what must have been Musterground WMA.

I just found this excellent map of the area - https://longcreektrails.files.wordpr...ocasseemap.pdf - which also has the dates. The seasonal roads are open from March 20 to May 10 and again from September 15 to January 15.

City
    Beech Island
    State
    SC
    Stellar map. Thanks for sharing.

Typed on a phone where my fingertip spans across three or four keys creating lots of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.