Family Jeepster Build

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Thanks guys. I am ready to wrap up this sheet metal work and move on to fun things like cages, and shock mounts. That picture actually kills me. I was going to put a warn 9000 on the front but that picture is just screaming for an 8274 in the front bumper.

I got the rest of the tunnel and drivers floor cut out. I even built the new drivers floor, but I ran out of install time. To drop the floor I have to lift the body. I had some 1.75" 6061 aluminum bar so I spent some time cutting it and boring the center to make 1" lift pucks. I hate to do it, but it gives me room for my feet, helps my steering shaft clearance, and makes extra room for the transmission. Hopefully this weekend I can get the floors and tunnel in. Then I move on to the motor and transmission final mounting. I should have made the frame wider to make more room for all that stuff. Well that and bought a 4.8l or 5.3l to put in there.
Liked just for the last sentence :).

Sadly, I think it is still on the table. I really want to use this 4.0l because there is really nothing else I can do with it but scrap it. The LSx motors just package much easier and I would love an automatic so my wife is more comfortable driving it. Not that she ever would. I might have found a 5.3", 4l60, and transfer case that I can afford. I am just not sure I want that over buying the coilovers and actually driving it.

Wow, It has been a while since I posted an update. The 4.0L is there to stay. The motor mounts are built, the transmission mount is in, and the tunnel/firewall is built around it. No changing my mind now.

20161023_185233_1.jpg

20161002_162303.jpg
You can see the 2" drop floors well here.

20161023_185259_1.jpg

I have also been working on the bumpers a little. Found some nice little single row panel mount light bars.

20161023_185158.jpg

These are shallow enough that I only had to cut one side of the 2x4" bumper. I figure that they shouldn't overheat with how little they will be run as reverse lights. They definitely won't be getting any air flow.

I am also prepping for the cage build. I chopped 3" out of the glovebox and shrunk the dash to match. This opens up the space for an A-pillar to get to the floor.
20161113_163426.jpg

The filler panel is all 18 gauge and really stiffened things back up.
20161113_163532.jpg

I had originally planned on trying to get fancy with the tube through the dash, but the angle just didn't work out and I want a removable cage so it can get powder coated before it goes in.

Well guys he has even more reasons to get this Family rig going.
His little girl wasn't suppose to be here for another 3 weeks but she decided to show up a little early and is beautiful and healthy. Congrats to Robert and Jan.

Well guys he has even more reasons to get this Family rig going.
His little girl wasn't suppose to be here for another 3 weeks but she decided to show up a little early and is beautiful and healthy. Congrats to Robert and Jan.
Thanks man. It was definitely a surprise. I am glad she came on Friday morning before I left. My alarm was set for 6:30am to head to Windrock. I was woken up at 3am to go to the hospital. She was crying by 5:37am. My suburban is actually still loaded up for wheeling. I need to get the pictures off the camera so I can share a few shots of Mallie. I can't wait for them all to be on the trail with us.

Thanks man. It was definitely a surprise. I am glad she came on Friday morning before I left. My alarm was set for 6:30am to head to Windrock. I was woken up at 3am to go to the hospital. She was crying by 5:37am. My suburban is actually still loaded up for wheeling. I need to get the pictures off the camera so I can share a few shots of Mallie. I can't wait for them all to be on the trail with us.
congratulations!

Thanks guys. It is definitely an amazing thing. I will say that a 16 month old and a 9 day old make for some long days and nights. The 9 day old needs food every 2 hours so there is no real sleep to be had, and when she is sleeping the 16 month old is wide open. He is a blast, but I need my sleep. I am not sure how to break him of his latest desire to wake up at 1-2am and play until 4-5. It is killing me.

What time does he go to bed normally. My boy is 17 months. he usually goes to sleep between 7-8 and sleeps till 6ish. Obviously there are days where this doesn't happen but he's been pretty good about sleeping through the night at this point.

Logan would do that and finally learned to just not pick him up and he would get bored and go back to sleep..he goes down at 8 and his ready to build a house at 5-6am

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

From 6 weeks old until Mallie was born he would go to bed around 7:30 to 8 and I would wake him up at 7 for breakfast. Now we struggle to get him down by 9. He will stand and cry in his crib for an hour out so before falling asleep. Then wakes up and is ready to go at 2am. Hopefully now that we are back in our house we can get him back to his routine.

Oh who's house you been at? Or still at hospital? ?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
We were at my mom's while our floors were being refinished. The plan was that they would finish the floors by Thanksgiving and we would move back in before Mallie was born. Opps. Now we are trying to wrangle the two of them while moving back into our house. All the furniture is in, but we have a lot of boxes to deal with. I still haven't even unpacked from my canceled trip to Windrock yet.

Congrats Robert! We had a little girl on the 19th; I feel ya on the sleep thing. I'd encourage you to let your boy cry it out in the dark in his crib. It'll make for a few terrible nights, but he'll self-correct pretty quick. Kids seem to really need consistency when it comes to bed schedules. Of course, there are plenty of folks that let their kids do whatever, and they would argue with me.

I didn't know we had so many young kids represented on this forum. That should make for some trailside fun in a few years.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Congrats Robert! We had a little girl on the 19th; I feel ya on the sleep thing. I'd encourage you to let your boy cry it out in the dark in his crib. It'll make for a few terrible nights, but he'll self-correct pretty quick. Kids seem to really need consistency when it comes to bed schedules. Of course, there are plenty of folks that let their kids do whatever, and they would argue with me.

I didn't know we had so many young kids represented on this forum. That should make for some trailside fun in a few years.
Mine are 2.5 years and 6 months. I definitely understand the lack of sleep, and all I can say is get used to it :).

Clippa, I was always amazed/impressed with how much shop time you got with 1. Waiting to see how it works with 2. It's difficult for me to find time to put gas in vehicles any more...

As far as the babies sleeping, my little one has pretty much slept through the night for a couple months, but he wakes up around 5 every morning. I've only had one day in months that I've slept past 6 and it was amazing.

When you decide to let them cry it out, which is harder to do when you're worried about them waking up the older kid, it's usually 3 rough nights. Seams like most things take about 3 days for them to acclimate.