Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Family Jeepster Build

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    So I thought my weekend would be spent getting a rolling chassis. All my suspension brackets came in from barnes.

Instead I found a guy parting out a jeepster south of Atlanta so I am driving down to pick up some sheetmetal that will make my life easier.

City
    greenwood
    State
    SC
    Ah the drive will be worth the work when you burn in those fresh cut lazer tabs on a fresh bare metal chassis. Cutting,drilling and grinding tab days are over for this guy. I'd prob pay double for those tabs to never do it again.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by 250f4life View Post
    Ah the drive will be worth the work when you burn in those fresh cut lazer tabs on a fresh bare metal chassis. Cutting,drilling and grinding tab days are over for this guy. I'd prob pay double for those tabs to never do it again.
    I payed way more than double. I even have a CNC table and it is worth it to just buy them ready to go. This just puts me one step closer to selling the plasma table to buy other tools. Not sure how much time I will get this weekend and I am debating between working on this or going to the Flats next Saturday.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I have been somewhat slack on this build. My family has been sick so I have spent a lot of time taking care of everyone. On top of that I have had a few home improvement projects that I am trying to wrap up.

Still I have had a little time at the shop. I got the motor out of the donor and it is now tacked in place. I am not sure it will stay where it is, but I am going to get everything else mocked up before I change anything. I had to cut a good bit of firewall out and then ended up offsetting the engine 1" to the passenger side to keep enough room for the pedals.

The trans and case hang out the bottom so I am debating cutting into the tub to push things up or just building a skid and not worrying about it. If I cut into the tub and push things up then I am going to destroy the seat mounts so it isn't just a little sheetmetal work.

I also pulled the front axle from the donor. Then wrestled it into place to start trying to figure out the suspension. I think the 35's are going to look really good on there and will require less body trimming that I originally thought. This is setup with 6" of up travel.

They are going to stick out about 5" on both sides so I am going to have to flare the fenders. The plan was for tube fenders anyway so I will just flare them out to about 4.5" or so and that way I don't have any tire coverage concerns. I don't want to worry about it in Moab or Colorado and I also don't want mud flying everywhere.

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Looking good.

Do you remember ever seeing a blue commando in crawl years ago built by a hot rod shop on west coast with wood panel siding? Timmay from liquid iron industries bought it and is working on the rebuild now. It was probably the one that hooked me on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve97tj View Post
    Looking good.

Do you remember ever seeing a blue commando in crawl years ago built by a hot rod shop on west coast with wood panel siding? Timmay from liquid iron industries bought it and is working on the rebuild now. It was probably the one that hooked me on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i remember having that one on our coffee table at school for years. I think I still have that issue.
    --Brooks

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    That is a good looking jeepster. I don't like the CJ front end conversion, but that is just me. I like the ugly commando front end. It looks like he has quite a bit left to get ready for EJS. Hopefully I can get out there next year for the 50th anniversary ride of the Jeepster.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    We have had a bug going through our house. This has slowed down my progress, but I did get a couple of hours today. I cut off the rockers. They had been "repaired" previously. Someone had welded some sheetmetal over the top of the rusted rockers. They didn't take the time to cut out the rot. I just did the initial cutting to see how far I would have to go. The back side is pretty much toast. I think I will have to cut it back to the floorboards. The outside looks pretty solid where I cut. Luckily the guy that rents the shop next to mine is currently having a 12' CNC brake installed so I should be able to bend everything out of a single piece. I won't be building it as tall as it was from the factory. Hopefully I can mock something up with my little brake next week. This week is probably a wash since we are heading to the mountains to enjoy some time with friends.

I also got started on the rear suspension. I built the front leaf spring mounts. Somehow I managed to lose the bushings for one spring so I chucked up some material and turned a new ones for that spring. I could have ordered them, but I was trying to get the rear suspension in place today and I didn't want to wait. I ended up running out of time before I could wrap up the rear suspension. I spent an hour just cleaning off old shock mounts and removing the spring perches. The axle was setup for sprung over and I am going sprung under. The springs I have are 4" YJ lift springs. That plus sprung over would put this thing up way to far for 35"s.

The mount is built off the frame by 1.375". I wanted to get the springs wider so I could get some more stability in there. I will build something similar in the back. It may sound strange, but it will be running 6" shackles. Again, it is what I have. They are pretty nice units and are very heavy duty. Next up will be to build out the rear mounts and then look into shocks and bump stops on the back. I also started machining the sleeves that will allow me to press in factory rubber bushings into my links. Sadly I forgot to get a picture of the sleeves.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    As it turns out a kid really reduces your ability to get out to the shop. I don't know why this still amazes me. I did get out there yesterday for a couple hours. I finished up the front 3 Link. I still need to get the coilover mounts built but that will wait until I get coilovers. It will probably be a while. In the mean time I welded some 1x1 tube to keep it at ride height so I can finalize the motor mounts and trans mount. I even got the opportunity to let her get a little sun on her nose while I cleaned up to get ready for the next round. SHEETMETAL.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I am ready to start the tube fenders and tire carrier to see what this things is going to look like when I am done.

The brackets from Barnes worked out really well. I used 10 degree lower mounts and a plain upper mount. I was able to get the lowers all the way out to where the leafs used to mount. I can turn lock to lock without any tires rubbing. In this setup I am running three equal length links all at 30" long. I ended up with about 86% anti-dive and a very small amount of roll oversteer.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast