Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Family Jeepster Build

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by rolledxj View Post
    Do you think that just the bumpers and one additional crossmember will give adequate torsional rigidity? I have visions of a rusty tub twisting into a misshapen lump and body filler popping out each time things get in a twist!
    The factory frame was built with just three crossmembers. I am just beefing the front and rear up to be bumpers too. The tub also won't be rusty once I finish. The cage will tie in through poly bushings as well. Hopefully everything will help prevent to much frame twist. This won't be a crazy crawler, but something for the family to trail ride in. The single seat I just pulled from the chassis table to work on this one will be finished for doing stupid stuff.

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Looks good. I love commandos. Have seen a few lately that are awesome.

I wouldn't blast the body unless your looking to really repair the sheetmetal as blasting it will show you every things that's wrong with the body and make it thin. Clean up around the seams that are bad and weld them all shut and grind the welds down. Maybe throw some stop rust on it or just seam sealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve97tj View Post
    Looks good. I love commandos. Have seen a few lately that are awesome.

I wouldn't blast the body unless your looking to really repair the sheetmetal as blasting it will show you every things that's wrong with the body and make it thin. Clean up around the seams that are bad and weld them all shut and grind the welds down. Maybe throw some stop rust on it or just seam sealer.
    I wanted the older 50's commando, but stumbled upon this one for what I thought was a good deal. It helps to have the entire drivetrain I want to swap in. I already know where the metal problem are. I was lucky enough that whoever did the bondo work wasn't good at it so it has flaked off already. Blasting would definitely reveal a little more, but probable nothing that I am not already planning to cut out. My problem is 100% cost. I can probably strip the tub clean with a sander in two days. Certainly I won't get into all the cracks but neither is a blaster. I would have to dip it for that. Right now I am leaning toward phosphoric acid soaking the seams. Then cleaning them and welding them up. I might skip the welding and just go with sealer.

It looks like my quest for a rolling chassis over break is already lost. All of my brackets for the suspension haven't shipped yet. Even with a CNC table it was easier to just order everything I needed from Barnes. I guess that got swamped and a couple of the brackets I want are back ordered. Hopefully they get shipped today, but in reality I don't really care. I have a lot to do before they get here.

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    It's a good thing you like to build things from scratch. There's not many cookie-cutter parts available for these things. If you care for a resource specific to Jeepsters I'd suggest JeepsterCommandoClub.com There are several guys on there who have extensive knowledge of Jeepsters, and there's a few that have pretty good parts reserves.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you cook up.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Thanks. I will check them out. I need some parts to convert to a soft top.

Got some time at the shop yesterday. The drivers side frame rail is all welded up and ready to be dressed down and smoothed. The notching setup worked great. I added a couple holes to each notch to put an internal fish plate on each joint to keep it clean.

The passenger frame rail is notched, drilled, and ready to weld up. The rough front and rear bumpers are built. Hopefully I canget the frame together and start on the body mounts next time out.
    Last edited by RClippa; 12-27-2015 at 08:20 PM.

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I've got a small northern tool sand blaster gig if you'd want to borrow it your more then welcome to. I've never tried it out so I'm not sure how well it works. Doesn't have any abrasive in it but I think harbor freight sales it.

I'm in Greenville so if you'd ever want it just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC

Thanks Steve. I have a small blasting out and can get my hands on an engine driven 40 gallon pot if I need it. I think I am going to try to avoid blasting if I can.

Got the rails finished up today. Tomorrow I will be adding the main body mounts and hopefully the cross members. This will let me position the body, motor, trans, and axles. I am still waiting on the tabs from barnes. Luckily they aren't holding me up right now.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I was up early this morning so I got a couple hours at the shop.

Cleaned up the four body mounts that I will be reusing.

Then I put the frame rails on the table and squared everything up. I added the front cross member for the grill body mount and another in the back right in front of the axle to tie the rails together.

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Frame rails look great
    --Brooks

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Thanks Brooks.

Only got a couple hours today. The body is on the frame. I need to adjust one body mount and then build the last four.

The front fenders line up pretty well with the stretched axle hump.

The rear fits like a glove. The cross member clears by a quarter inch.

Even got the rear bumper in place.

Now the trick is going to be shoving an inline 6 where a v6 was.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast