Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Family Jeepster Build

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC

Chassis loaded up and headed for the house. Now I just need to plumb everything and get the right coilovers. This will be done at night after the kids are in bed. There is still lots to do on the body so I have a lot of long nights at the shop ahead of me.

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by RClippa View Post
    I won't actually be finished due to lack of money.
    Now you sound like JR. When I'd ask how much longer on his last build, his response was always in dollars, not time.
    Ehhh... about $5,000...
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Hell of a trailer you got there. This thing is going to be great once you have it running.

Where abouts is your shop located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Thanks. I built it to replace the gooseneck I sold Larry. It is a 12' hydraulic tilt deck trailer. Built specifically to fit my buggy but I use it for all sorts of stuff. At least until it finds a new home and I can build another one. The design of my new trailer is coming along nicely, but I have to find a place to put a crap load of bends into 16 gauge sheet metal that is 10' long for it to work out. The single axle didn't bother me when I towed behind a crew cab F350. Now that I am driving a suburban it pushes me around a little bit.

The shop is over off 123 in Easley. Right behind the RC car store with the tracks. I keep looking in Greenville to rent, buy, or build but in the end my rent is cheap and access to all the cranes is pretty nice.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    It is very disappointing that I don't have a single picture that shows how bad this windshield frame was before I spent 10 hours on it. The end result is acceptable, but Chip Foose won't be calling me up to do body repair anytime soon. It took 19 patch panels to get an acceptable frame. In hind sight I probably could have milled down some lumber to build forms and built an entirely new frame in 18 pieces.

This corner was totally rotten.

The top edge through here was totally gone. This was two panels at 22" long. One for the exterior and one on the interior to get the actual windshield mount built back up. Matching the radius was fun.

Both lower corners were totally roached out. They required replacing both the interior and exterior pieces. To get the right flange shape I turned dies for the bead roller a few months ago.

I have been dreading this repair since I found the damage. I really tried to find a suitable replacement, but couldn't find one that fit my budget. All that is left is to add two weldnuts to the hardtop mounts where they are stripped out. Then a quick sand and it is ready for paint. There is still some rust pitting in the windshield flange. I guess I will just have to use a little sikaflex with the gasket to ensure that everything is completely sealed.

Left before mud starts slinging:
    Passenger door patch repair
    Weld up floors
    Fill a couple holes on the firewall
    Fill wing window holes
    minor hammer and dolly work on rear corners to fix where it hit something.

Last count was 10 new pieces of metal that need to go on to finalize everything.

Today I bought the DTM primer and some rage ultra filler. Hopefully by the end of this long weekend the entire body and associated parts will be a uniform color and ready for body work.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Prepping for paint is not a fast process.

Started with this for a passenger door.

And this

With a little cutting I got it to this.

I shaped up a couple replacement parts. For the skin it was a few trips through the tipping wheel on the bead roller. then a little shrinks work. The back piece was broke twice and then a little shrinker stretcher work.

And this

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I couldn't get my door hinges off until I broke out the big guns. Half inch impact with the adapter and bit from my hammer powered impact driver. Everything came out easy.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Memorial Day Weekend didn't go 100% as planned. Friday I went to the shop after work and busted tail until almost 2am. This deadline is getting crazy close considering the shape of the rig. Friday I was stripping paint because I was to cheap at the start of this to get the thing blasted. Honestly it was all weekend that I was stripping paint.

This slowed me down and made me look like a porcupine. Luckily I am not an idiot and I had a shield on so my face was left alone.

In stripping the final bits of paint off the drivers door I exposed that it looked very similar to the passenger door.

So I had some more rust repair to do.

I left Friday night feeling pretty bad about my progress but there really is no way to speed up sanding.

Saturday I spent the morning with the kids so my wife could get a metal health massage and her nails done. Of course the afternoon was spent floating in the lake listening to live music and drinking a little beer. I took it easy because I thought I knew what Sunday had in store.

Sunday I hit the shop early because we were having a cookout for the neighbors. Within the first hour I had snapped off a couple of bolts, failed at drilling them out, and patched a little bit of rust. A friend came over to help with some welding. He basically started at the back of the rig and welded anything that needed it up to the front. This let me build patch panels and strip even more paint. He also called one of his friends to come check out the project. I am glad he did. This friend works at a body shop, and is just about to open his own powder coating business right around the corner from the shop. He quoted me a great price on the paint and body work. Assuming I am ready he should start spraying primer while I am partying in Nashville this weekend.

Monday was slated to be a long day at the shop. After 14 hours of working I can attest to the long day. I missed my goal of getting everything in primer yesterday, but I did make serious progress.

Stack of parts ready for wipe down and paint.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Now everything is cleaned and waiting on the painter to show up. He was supposed to get it done over the weekend while I was in Nashville, but his day job picked up and he wasn't able to get away. He should be over there tonight to spray it with epoxy so I can start body work later this week after it cures up. The color is ordered and should be here by this weekend!!! Only a couple weeks left for final assembly, fabrication, and testing.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    So my trip to Nashville was a total success. We definitely drank to much, but we saw so much stuff. It was really fun to get away from the kids and get some time alone with my wife. She kept me on my toes and all of the action around the Stanley cup game made the city an absolute ball.

Unfortunately that is where the success ends. I had hired a local guy to prime the Jeepster while I was drinking. I guess he decided he wasn't hungry because he never got to it. Tuesday he stopped answering my calls and texts. So last night after working a 12 hour day I took on the task myself. I am no painter, but I have a schedule to keep. There are a couple of runs here and there where I had the gun setup to provide to much paint, bumped the fan control, or just didn't keep my motion as smooth and steady as it should be. Nothing I shouldn't be able to sort out with a razor blade and some sand paper. So after 3 hours of painting last night the jeepster looks a little different.

Three coats of DTM are now down a curing. Hopefully I can get after it to fix my runs and then start filler work. I guess I am going to learn how to do it. The color should be here Friday so maybe by the end of the weekend I will actually have a Jeepster in the correct color. :D If that works then I will be able to let it cure over the week before I spray line the inside and underside.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast