New YJ owner present!

Just bought a 95 YJ with the 2.5 (i think) and a 5 speed manual. I got a darn good deal on the jeep at $1900. Its stock wheels, tires, lift. It has offroad bumpers and winch (12,000 lb Gorilla that needs a small rebuild). I am happy about it but its my first YJ and the first vehicle I have ever owned with leaf springs in the front. I am looking to do 33" tires and probably 4" lift (or whatever will comfortably clear 33s). I see the jeep life style is pretty different I have had probably 50 people break their arms off to wave at me while I was driving around. Any tips and tricks to save a few $$$ on some mods is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
[/URL][/IMG]

The biggest tip I have is to wheel it like it is and see what happens, it is also a good way to see what you really need. Things to beware off are the Dana 35 rear axle and the AX5 transmission. The Dana 35 has a tendency to break shafts if its got a locker, or break spiders gears if it is left open. luckily an axle swap is easily accomplished and there are plenty of stronger axles out there that will swap in easily and be more than happy pulling 33's around (Ford 8.8, Chrysler 8.25). With the AX5 you are okay, but they have a tendency to do goofy things like loose 5th. In most applications the AX5 will be fine, but if you get into hardcore trail riding or pulling a trailer you could have issues.

33's can be fit with no lift, it all depends on what sort of look you want out of the Jeep. I have 35's on my Jeep and right at an inch of lift, I did this to keep a low center of gravity and to keep it as stable as I could.

Here is my Yj for reference.

FB_IMG_1441677519324.jpg

~Jeff

I love it. I am looking at my jeep and I can run 33's with no lift? It looks like there isnt enough room in the rear fender well. I am looking for something for most novice trails, mud maybe a little climbing, nothing extreme. I doubt very seriously I will ever pull a trailer. Id just like a mud terrain tire for the extra height and the better traction.

I love it. I am looking at my jeep and I can run 33's with no lift? It looks like there isnt enough room in the rear fender well. I am looking for something for most novice trails, mud maybe a little climbing, nothing extreme. I doubt very seriously I will ever pull a trailer. Id just like a mud terrain tire for the extra height and the better traction.
Without trimming the body it probably will not happen, a very common modification for the YJ is to swap to TJ fender flares. That should almost buy you enough room to clear those 33's. Keep in mind that you might still have to buy or extend your factory bumpstop to keep the tire out of the fender.

20150128_174350.jpg

This picture was with the exact same suspension setup that I have on the Jeep now, just with the factory bumpstops and 33's that got into the top of the rear fender.