Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Thread: What did you do to your rig Today? V2.0

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Can't really see the mount in the pictures. Is it attached to the windshield frame or do you have something run across from the cage in both sides?
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Cayce
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by LBarr2002 View Post
    Can't really see the mount in the pictures. Is it attached to the windshield frame or do you have something run across from the cage in both sides?
    It's attached to the windshield frame with 2 steel nutserts, with 1\4" hardware. The brackets are some very hard 3\16 thick ones I had sitting around. I removed the CB upper housing, drilled, and installed some carriage machine screws from the inside. Very solid mounting, very little wiggle.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Po Pimpin in my beat up Jeep, ridin round on $2 of gas like I'm da President.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew01taco View Post
    Finally got the jeep back to the house Saturday and ripped out the Dana 30 yesterday. Hopefully can start mocking up the front this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So what are you doing with the dana 30?

City
    Greenwood
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by RClippa View Post
    So what are you doing with the dana 30?
    Zach Nelson is getting it from me

City
    Cayce
    State
    SC
    Last week I had the Rubi towed to a friend's shop after it went into limp mode on my way home from fishing.
    It's only been 4 or 5 years since I did a bunch of work to the transmission. So here I am needing another valve body and solenoid pack replaced. Thankfully my insurance covers towing, but the diagnosis cost me $100, parts were around $350. Now the fun part is my wife's JKU cut off in the middle of traffic Thursday afternoon with the battery dead. Towing covered by insurance, but the battery wouldn't charge, so I had my son put a new $100 battery in it. Fired it up, and instantly find an alternator that's failed. With a discount I paid $175 for the alternator.
    I've basically spent $750 in repairs over the past week!
    So, What did I do to my Jeep today?
    I sat in it and cried!!!!

City
    Beech Island
    State
    SC
    Okay, this really isn't "my rig" but s few of you freaks will appreciate what I have done with my cast iron cookware.

Many years ago, cast iron foundries would polish the cooking surface, leaving a smooth surface to develop a gorgeous and functional patina. Now, they skip this step, leaving the surface still rough from sand-casting. I have a pan that is so rough, the burrs catch on the paper towels when I would wipe it down and leave little burt bits of paper towel for my food.

Naturally, being the weirdo I am, I decided to do something about it...

Pic 1: First, I ran the pans in the oven on the self-clean cycle to burn everything off. This will remove the seasoning, bits of food, pretty much everything that isn't iron. The picture is after the oven's cleaming cycle burnt everything off and left a dull gray. Please note the rough finish from sand-casting.

Pic 2: I took an angle grinder and a 60 grit flap-wheel to smooth out the rough finish. I then used a 120 grit flap-wheel to finish out the surface. Please note I only did this on the cooking surface. I was thinking about finishing it with 220 grit on an orbital, but my orbital is too big and awkward to do it.

Pic 3: I used the grill on the back porch to season the pans. I used Crisco and put it on the grill at 450-500 degrees for 30 minutes. I would take the first two pans out and load the next two on for 30 minutes. I cycled this back-and-forth for about 5 times, with a final cycle of 1 hour to finish it off.

They are way smoother than before.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

City
    Cayce
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by billoftt View Post
    Okay, this really isn't "my rig" but s few of you freaks will appreciate what I have done with my cast iron cookware.

Many years ago, cast iron foundries would polish the cooking surface, leaving a smooth surface to develop a gorgeous and functional patina. Now, they skip this step, leaving the surface still rough from sand-casting. I have a pan that is so rough, the burrs catch on the paper towels when I would wipe it down and leave little burt bits of paper towel for my food.

Pic 1: First, I ran the pans in the oven on the self-clean cycle to burn everything off. This will remove the seasoning, bits of food, pretty much everything that isn't iron. The picture is after the oven's cleaming cycle burnt everything off and left a dull gray. Please note the rough finish from sand-casting.

Pic 2: I took an angle grinder and a 60 grit flap-wheel to smooth out the rough finish. I then used a 120 grit flap-wheel to finish out the surface. Please note I only did this on the cooking surface. I was thinking about finishing it with 220 grit on an orbital, but my orbital is too big and awkward to do it.

Pic 3: I used the grill on the back porch to season the pans. I used Crisco and put it on the grill at 450-500 degrees for 30 minutes. I would take the first two pans out and load the next two on for 30 minutes. I cycled this back-and-forth for about 5 times, with a final cycle of 1 hour to finish it off.

I just sent Brooks a message the other day about some cast iron I have.
    We were talking about it at the back roads trip. I have a pot with a griddle lid. My nephew has them at the moment blasting them clean for me. I'll end up using a 500 grit polishing disc on my grinder to get my cook surface to a smooth finish.

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by billoftt View Post

Good work man, those should be nice!

--Brooks

City
    Spartanburg
    State
    SC
    Brakes on the 4Runner hit the wear indicators last night randomly. Upgraded to the bigger Tundra setup. Surprisingly easy to change out. Much better performance.

City
    Cayce
    State
    SC
    Almost done supervising mini me installing his CB.
    Meanwhile, iremoved all the old cracked insulation from my 4' antenna. It's about 45yrs old, and was my grandads. Made by Long Ranger Communication Accessories. Very good performing antenna still. I found some lavender heat shrink on Amazon, so my wife has a custom lavender 4' antenna.
    (I thought it was going to be purple.)

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051