What did you do to your rig Today? V2.0

I think it got tweaked in the "incident" it had some vibes over 45 it didn't have before. Being crunched for time and an 1.5 hours from Carolina driveline I just scooped one from a localish guy and threw it in....of course I put the u joint in backwards so I can't grease it.....

So i found an add on craigslist for a Free Scout. Of course this happens when i am recouping from shoulder surgery, so i cant really get it. I show my buddy and said he should get it for the axles to put under his scrambler. He calls and arrange for us to come get it this morning. The owner was real cool ,he has had other scouts before, this one has been sitting since 98. Not much left to it, it was cut off after the rear doors. It is a 304/T18/dana 20 rig. We loaded it, or rather my friend and the owner loaded it on the trailer and we brought it to my place. it had alot of spare parts with it. And it had a good title. Bad this is when we got it home, it had a dana 30 front axle so my buddy could use it, but he is still gonna grab the rear. I will end up parting it out and get the title in my name so i can have paperwork to save another scout that has no paper. I will be parting it out as soon as i heal up.

IMAG1481_zpsifnebvya.jpg
IMAG1482_zpsv2bchssl.jpg
IMAG1483_zpszmmtk6yk.jpg
IMAG1484_zpsyh9u9yv4.jpg

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Upgraded the sliders on my coilovers. The stock sliders were allowing the springs to bend like bananas and rub on the shock. Making a god awful noise when bouncing down the trail.

So it went from this
D42D8A3C-D18F-4613-9526-6F1307675816_zpskjh5frvb.jpg

To this
237ED163-2927-45A5-86FB-D1AB0565F75A_zpsupblkf00.jpg

No more banana springs.
7736042C-E108-41F5-9E97-E663296A0856_zps9y9kvghx.jpg

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The new JK spent the weekend at the dealer after the check engine light came on Thursday. Turned out to be a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Picked it up this evening. All is well.

Went by the pick & pull in Conway yesterday and looked over an 01 XJ they recently received. Finally found a non-broken shifter bezel. Also scrounged up 6 fuel injector connectors from a few WJs to fix all of mine that were broken by the PO. Repinning these is a PITA with the brittle old wires on the XJ. Also found a near perfect cat-back stock exhaust to replace the flowmaster currently on it.

Last edited:
Now that i am finally able to turn some wrenches after my Shoulder surgery. I started pull parts off the motor to access the valves. I tried to get the motor running about 3 weeks ago, I could barely get it running and i decided to do a comrpession test. #1 - 75, #2- 0, #3 - 85, #4 - 95. So i knew i either had a stuck valve or a broken spring in #2, especially when the fuel mixture and oil was being shot back into the carb and made a nice oil slick on top of the carb.

The culprit
20170117_185637_zps2tt6sdrx.jpg

A bit of a gap between lifter and valve

Besides being filthy in there i also found some antifreeze on the top of the valve adjustment screw
20170117_185728_zpsjo5oalbc.jpg

So it looks like i have a leaking head gasket also. SOOOOOOO good thing i had the had gasket already. I am soaking the bolts to prepare to remove the manifolds and head.

Now i have to figure out the best way to clean out the nasty oil gallery in there :(

Having never rebuilt a transfer case before, is it worth it to convert a 231J to a wider chain and 6 gear planetary set? I don't see ever getting crazy with building the XJ. My stock unit blew apart today on I26. Case was split open so I'm looking for a replacement to freshen up.

I bought a cheap $25.00 Baofeng handheld from Amazon. My license has not been issued yet, but I can listen and I was listening to a guy on a mobile in Spartanburg on the Beech Island repeater. I am assuming he had a mobile at 50 watts instead of my cheap 4W handheld, but holy crap that is 100 miles. I do know the the repeater I was listening to is on a 1300' tower which brings the Line of Sight up a lot.

I actually feel stupid for waiting this long to do it.

I bought a cheap $25.00 Baofeng handheld from Amazon. My license has not been issued yet, but I can listen and I was listening to a guy on a mobile in Spartanburg on the Beech Island repeater. I am assuming he had a mobile at 50 watts instead of my cheap 4W handheld, but holy crap that is 100 miles. I do know the the repeater I was listening to is on a 1300' tower which brings the Line of Sight up a lot.

I actually feel stupid for waiting this long to do it.
Congrats on your ticket!!

It was probably the Beech Island SCHEARTS repeater (147.345) , It can be (is, by users and schedules) linked via the ETV microwave network to other repeaters around the state.

Dont get too excited over those Baofeng radios, They are a great radios for starting out (or in my case being disposable) but you will quickly learn they lack alot of "ham friendly" features. Dont waste your money on the DMR version, it isn't compatible with the DMR networks around.

KG4UAL

Thanks for the heads up. I knew that about the Baofeng, but I figured if would be a good start without sinking too much money and deciding not to get deeper into it. I think they would be great for my 10-year-old that wants to get into it as well.