DT Closing.....

IDK if you guys saw it but DT is closing Sept 8th.

Durhamtown Tellico

Thanks to the Division of Minerals ,Energy and Land Rersources,
Durhamtown Tellico will close on Sept 8 permanently They are declaring the Timber cutting on the property is for the sole purpose of building atv trails. Therefore we must comply by commercial development standards. Permits and paper work will excede $350,000 or I can fight them in Federal Court. This is our government still controlling our private property rights. I am sadden to announce this for I have spent over $250,000 and operated in a professional standard of land preservation. 2 govt agencies agree with me buy the 3rd wants the ultimate motive.
Timber cutting has been part of this property for over 100 years

mike

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I saw it on FB and NC4X4. We were talking about a club trip there soon...

If you haven't been or want to go again it looks like you have 2 weekends to do it.

Haha, I had the Lewis Cabin reserved Nov 14th. At least they have an option to be legit. Maybe they will make it happen. I have not read anything other than their comment though.

Haha, I had the Lewis Cabin reserved Nov 14th. At least they have an option to be legit. Maybe they will make it happen. I have not read anything other than their comment though.
I was talking to Chuck up there this past weekend and he remembers your jeep getting totaled at his old cabins. He almost didn't believe me that you rebuilt it and still own it

Chucks a cool dude. We saw him at Windrock a few years ago in my jeep but I don't think he put it together who we were. I have some good memories from his trail over the mountain at his cabins.

I would like to see their full report on why they are forcing a shutdown. It just seems silly to say its because they are logging to build Jeep trails. Nobody wants to ride in a place thats clearcut anyways.

i figure there must be, care to copy and paste I cant get to NC4x4
This might be what he's referring to. Weather it was Mike or the land owner that did the logging is unsure.

Idk if the full truth is being told about the reasons for getting shut down. Friends that work for the forest service said that the logging was illegal ( no permits pulled) and broke several laws dealing with waterways.

I called Bs when I first read it. There is more to it. I wonder if closing wasn't already an idea and this just expedited it. While I wanted to go back one day because I love the area I couldn't see it being overly successful when you have to pack your entire camp in and town is a good hike away. To me that sounds great but to the majority I think not. I think they weighed the best of the 2 options and decided trees are where the money was.