Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Bronco Build

City
    Columbia
    State
    SC

Early Bronco Build

So this weekend I started a new project. I've been thinking about what to do with the set of one ton axles I picked up recently. They were originally gonna go in my Bronco II but I think this is a better plan. This is a 1973 Bronco that my dad bought in 1994, it's really the Bronco that got me into Fords and four wheeling. When I was in middle school this was our farm truck and every once in a while we'd take it offroading. It was a V8, automatic, power steering truck. Back then it had 33's with no lift and the sweet square tube roll bar that's still on it. Some where along the line my dad and uncle decided to put some long tube headers on it, later that day my dad was driving down a dirt road, a spark plug wire got caught in the throttle linkage and held it wide open. He shut it off but it just had manual drum brakes so it pulled him to the side and he ended up rolling it. After that he parked it, eventually it became a parts donor. This is where I got the axles for my Bronco II from. It's been sitting in a field behind my mom's house for atleast the last ten years.

The plan is to build an ultimate adventure style truck. Superduty axles, probably 37's, 5-speed, with a fuel injected small block ford. Stock it has a 92" wheelbase, I'm going to stretch it but I'm not sure how much I can do yet. I'm only going to do the bare minimum to the body to fix the rust but I probably won't worry about all the dents.

This is what it looks like now:
    IMG_5441.JPG
    IMG_5443.JPG
    IMG_5451.JPG
    IMG_5452.JPG
    IMG_5455.JPG
    IMG_5461.JPG

City
    greenwood
    State
    SC
    Heck yeah man, love the vintage stuff since I started on the Cj. Just don't see these old rigs to often.

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Looks great for being rolled haha
    --Brooks

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Hell ya man. I've always loved those EB's. Saw a halfcab bronco at Carlton customs the other day in Greenville that looked pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by 97TJGUZZY View Post
    Looks great for being rolled haha
    Yep, the square roll bar held up well. You see much worse being restored all the time.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Columbia
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by LBarr2002 View Post
    Yep, the square roll bar held up well. You see much worse being restored all the time.
    Yeah the roll bar probably saved him, the good thing about early Broncos is that you can pretty much build one from nothing. You can buy every sheet metal part for the body and even a new frame.

City
    Hartsville
    State
    SC
    Love the EB. I have an early 80's frame out back I always wanted to build something out of. Never did though.

City
    Hodges
    State
    SC
    Looks like a solid start.
    Harvard

City
    Columbia
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by matth_85 View Post
    Looks like a solid start.
    Thanks yall. I'm working on getting it cleaned up this week. This is the part where that small rust spot turns into a big hole.

City
    Columbia
    State
    SC
    More pictures. I got it cleaned up last weekend and ordered the first parts for it, all new floor pans for the front. Its fairly solid except everywhere carpet was. There are a few small rust holes in the top of the cowl and corners of the bed. Overall its about what you'd expect. Seems like it's had a rough life, the doors and passenger fender were originally yellow and the hood looks like it was originally white. The front core support looks like it's been crunched atleast a couple times so I might end up replacing it. For now I'm just gonna start cutting it up and making measurements to check how straight the frame is.

IMG_5487.JPG

IMG_5489.JPG

IMG_5495.JPG

IMG_5496.JPG

IMG_5498.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast