Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White TJ build

City
    Greenwood
    State
    SC

White TJ build

First trip to Gulches

Most of yall know I bought Jimbos old TJ he had briefly. So far, its been a fun capable lil rig for me to just day trip to gulches and around town. There's been several items I've had on my list of things I need to do such as oil pan replacement and tracking down the ticking noise that seems to be very common in the 4.0 Then there's the items I just want to do to make it more capable. But now that I have my truck where I want it and my folks have a nice big shop for me to work in, I think its time for me to put a lil TLC in the jeep and get it where I want it to be. Because I would like to make it to a big event like OSCAR or something soon.

As it sits now:

-2.5 RC lift and 1.25 BL. trashed stock control arms
    -35" Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar
    -D30 front, loc rite locker and chromo shafts
    -Stock D44 rear w/limited slip
    -Smittybilt (I think) front bumper, rock sliders, front/rear tube fenders

The plan:

-replace oil pan (dented in right at the drain plug)
    -AA SYE and new rear shaft (Carolina driveline or tom woods)
    -Brown Dog 1" mml
    -Front/rear solid diff covers
    -Clayton long arm upgrade kit: 3 link front and 4 link rear w/front bridge
    -Clayton engine and transfercase skid system
    -And maybe a front D44 down the line and small stretch

I'm sure this will be a pretty long process, as I work out of town during the week, and at times an aggravating task. But I know it'll all be worth it in the end
    Last edited by Drew01taco; 11-13-2016 at 09:41 PM.

City
    Greenwood
    State
    SC
    Bored at work on a saturday so I figured I'd add a few more pics...

City
    Greenwood
    State
    SC
    Well I finally get to update this some. I'm working a jobsite in my home town so I have time to work on this thing. So I scooped up ronnies old ZJ for donor axles control arms and sooner or later the 5.9. I stripped down all the axles today. Goal is to get this thing ready for OSCAR this coming year but we'll see. My brother also has picked up a decent XJ for $500 that we're building up some too.

Pile of axles and tires

My brothers XJ with the fenders cut and 35's on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Drew01taco; 11-13-2016 at 09:42 PM.

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    The TJ will be pretty sick with that gear!
    --Brooks

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Nice. Glad you scooped that up, will make that TJ pretty sick.

To a close eye, where that XJ is sitting should look familiar to yall. Several builds have taken place under that carport.

City
    Greenwood
    State
    SC
    I'm hoping it will be a pretty solid rig when i'm done. And Good eye steve, hopefully they'll be a few more

Initially, I was planning on swapping axles and then down the road the motor. But now I'm kinda thinking engine swap then axles because I feel the engine will be the most challenging. I've done alot of research on 3link/4link so i feel pretty good about that now. But I still gotta do a SYE and put my T-case in the 5.9. But I probably won't start tearing down the TJ til after hunting season because I still wanna hit gulches up a time or so and I have a feeling its gonna take a while to get all this done. In the mean time I'll be going through the axles and cleaning them up some.

City
    Greenwood
    State
    SC
    I fired up the 5.9 yesterday and let it run a while and changed the oil in the TJ. Took advantage of cyber Monday today and ordered my motor mount for the 5.9 and a SYE from advance adapters. Also ordered all the brackets that I know I need for the 3 link and 4 link and also some Tubing for the upper third link that I needed from Barnes4wd. Here's a short video of the motor running. I'm ready to have this thing in the TJ!

City
    Greenwood
    State
    SC
    Basically just posting this post for myself and for anyone to chime in with tips on the 5.9 swap.

I've been doing alot of research since i first thought about buying Ronnie's ZJ and I feel alot better about it but only time will tell when i go to fire it up. I've started labeling the 5.9 getting ready to pull it. As of now, I'm going to attempt to wire the harness myself. I've got service manuals for a 98 TJ and ZJ for help with pin outs and what not. From what i have read and watched there are only like 4 plugs that need to be changed from the TJ harness. A couple of other splices and adding the 2 extra fuel injector plugs. But since I'm keeping the 46RE i've got to add some additional wires for that. but some issues I think I'm going to have:

1. The ZJ has a factory alarm which won't allow me to use the PCM if my research is correct. So i need to find a PCM from a dodge truck (5.2 or 5.9) with an automatic transmission.
    2. ASD - I haven't done much research on this part but I think the it is gonna be a little tricky cause the ZJ is completely different than the TJ here. Need to read up more on that.
    3. My TJ has a Security Key (SKIM). May not be a big deal, but I think the right PCM will fix that?
    4. My TJ is a manual, and I'm going to keep the 46RE so running wiring for an automatic and connecting it to my computer. and also

Or I can pay $750+ to have it wired and labeled at backwoodsoffroad.com but that seems a bit high for a handful of splices and adding 2 injectors into the PCM plug. Again, any input, tips and anything i might be overlooking is much appreciated. Trying to get all my ducks in a row to make this swap as smooth as possible.

City
    Greenwood
    State
    SC
    Well I wasn't planning on getting new tires just yet but I scooped up Craig's old racelines and red labels off his buggy. Hopefully these will keep me motivated to get the jeep built sooner. Haven't done much since I pulled the motor after Christmas but ready to start tearing down the TJ

And just to give myself an idea of what they're gonna look like...

I might have cried a little bit looking at this thread for the first time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast