Heat reduction hoods

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
My jeep has always suffered from some vapor lock on hot days. I'd like to get some hood venting, but I don't really like the cut in vents. What options are out there? I don't want or need to do highline. I just want a factory replacement heat reduction hood.

Mine does the same thing. I put a cooler thermostat in it and it helped some. But, if you park it and get right back in it still builds a lot of heat.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Mine does the same thing. I put a cooler thermostat in it and it helped some. But, if you park it and get right back in it still builds a lot of heat.
Yeah, I've gotten pretty used to it but Burgundy drove the Jeep to Columbia last week and she said it fired and shut off on her after it sat for 10 minutes.

I found this hood from Duraflex that looked pretty good:
http://www.duraflexbodykits.com/images/DF-9-11/thumbnails/108805_1-325x243.jpg

But then I found this thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/Wrangler/comments/38t2ww/duraflex_aev_heat_reduction_hood_knockoff_for_tj/) that says that picture is from post 5 of this thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/hoods-813394/) and is an actual AEV hood. Sure looks like the same Jeep to me...

Any interest in tube fenders?

Full replacements with Inners and have the vent on the side panel I feel like could cut some of that heat down.

Poison spider makes those panels you put on your hood and cut out but I think they look like turds. I like the way that silver one is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I don't mind the fiberglass. Its just shady that they used a picture of an AEV hood as their own, so I don't really know what the duraflex looks like or the quality.

And no Steve, unless the jeep gets built more down the road, I have no interest in tube fenders, highline, etc.

You know. The Genright Loovers don't look that bad .. Wonder what they would look like color matched? The other thing i'm wondering is what if you put a smallish e fan in front of your radiator (or replace the factory fan), have it wired to stay on after you switch the jeep off for say 10 minutes. just to keep the air moving... really need a exhaust fan...

I color matched the ones one #BlueTJ and thought they looked pretty good. I personally like the one big panel that is made much better than the three separate ones. I'm not a fan of the AEV hood though.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Tripp, I've seen a jeep with the poison spider full hood louver with an e fan mounted to the bottom of it, but I think that's overkill. A small computer case fan under the Genright louvers isn't a bad idea...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Larry, did you insulate the entire fuel rail and injectors?
Yeah, it has the piece of insulation that sits below the fuel rail and I wrapped the rail and injectors with insulated tape. I haven't done any wrapping further back, but it seems pretty clear that the cause is the heat rising from the cats and getting trapped under the hood. Pulling the insulation off the hood would probably help a lot...

I guess I don't daily drive mine enough to notice how often mine still does it. I used that spark plug boot/wire insulation that looks like a orange garden hose with the white cotton like material on the inside. it helped a bunch and really only does it on the hottest of days when blasting the ac etc.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I guess I don't daily drive mine enough to notice how often mine still does it. I used that spark plug boot/wire insulation that looks like a orange garden hose with the white cotton like material on the inside. it helped a bunch and really only does it on the hottest of days when blasting the ac etc.
We've had a month of the hottest of days blasting the ac running 35 miles back and forth to work, so it does it fairly often...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
have you run any tanks of non-ethanol in it?
I did before I did any of the heat wrap. Maybe the combination of the wrap and non-ethanol will help. I'll probably drive it a couple days this week to run some fuel out of it and fill it up with nonethanol before wheeling it this weekend