Smoking Meat and Dry Rub

Smoked a Boston butt Saturday to have some pulled pork to freeze and for dinner. Injected it with an apple juice solution and then basted it after two hours and wrapped it at 165 after 3 hours and pulled it after being on 5.5-6hrs and it turned out awesome. Used McCormick cowboy rub and it barked well. I usually fight getting the temperature up and keeping it but I cooked it at 250 for the entire cook and really happy with the result. This is only the second time I've injected and I think it's key for sure to good pulled pork. Very moist and flavorful but not overbearing. Bark was good but not the best I've had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoked a Boston butt Saturday to have some pulled pork to freeze and for dinner. Injected it with an apple juice solution and then basted it after two hours and wrapped it at 165 after 3 hours and pulled it after being on 5.5-6hrs and it turned out awesome. Used McCormick cowboy rub and it barked well. I usually fight getting the temperature up and keeping it but I cooked it at 250 for the entire cook and really happy with the result. This is only the second time I've injected and I think it's key for sure to good pulled pork. Very moist and flavorful but not overbearing. Bark was good but not the best I've had.

was the cowboy rub spicy or more sweet? never heard of it.

More of a sweeter flavor. I'm a total newb but it's always done pretty well when I've used it. Slather it in mustard and rub it on.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436789389.234506.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436789397.834175.jpg

Do yall use a wireless thermometer when you smoke to keep tabs on the internal temp of the meat? Thinking about getting one as I just have a cheapo digital meat one now that I check but would like to keep better tabs on it.

Also brooks do you usually put a pan under your coal bucket to make cleanup easier after your cook? I've been dumping out the ashes when it's all done to get it all out but it's a pain and makes a mess.

More of a sweeter flavor. I'm a total newb but it's always done pretty well when I've used it. Slather it in mustard and rub it on.
View attachment 6991
View attachment 6992

Do yall use a wireless thermometer when you smoke to keep tabs on the internal temp of the meat? Thinking about getting one as I just have a cheapo digital meat one now that I check but would like to keep better tabs on it.

Also brooks do you usually put a pan under your coal bucket to make cleanup easier after your cook? I've been dumping out the ashes when it's all done to get it all out but it's a pain and makes a mess.

I have a stainless pan under my coal basket.

I don't have a wireless one but I have a digital Thermo I use sometimes. It has a cord but if you are careful with it you can get it outside the smoker with no issue. Most of the time I just check it periodically when I am spraying it with apple juice.