Smoking Meat and Dry Rub

We have had a few discussions in the past. I'm doing 6-8 Racks of ribs this weekend for some friends and family and was looking to see if anyone had some dry rub recipes they like. I like what my current recipe but I was wondering if anyone has some that they like to make.

We have had a few discussions in the past. I'm doing 6-8 Racks of ribs this weekend for some friends and family and was looking to see if anyone had some dry rub recipes they like. I like what my current recipe but I was wondering if anyone has some that they like to make.
I think I use about the same thing you do from discussing it in the past. I have tried other stuff on Butt and Loin but always revert back to the OG.

What's y'all's OG rub?

from reading on different smoking forums I usually just buy a rub of some sort bc it's usually cheaper then sourcing everything and putting it together. I used a cowboy rub once that I like a lot on a but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's y'all's OG rub?

from reading on different smoking forums I usually just buy a rub of some sort bc it's usually cheaper then sourcing everything and putting it together. I used a cowboy rub once that I like a lot on a but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brown Sugar
Paprika
Cumin
Salt
Pepper
Cayan pepper
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder

A lot of Brown sugar and Paprika (mainly just a filler) and I put equal amounts of the others in typically. I put more Cayan than a lot of people like but I cook what I like...sorry fawkers...

I really have no amount of each. It's different every time. It makes a nice bark and tastes real good. On the ribs I typically try to get them sweeter than my Butt so less Cayan pepper maybe more black pepper as that's a different taste.

I have two Butts and plan to do two racks of ribs and two loins for the 4th.

I also bought me a new grill. Still have a few tweaks to make on it but I lit it up last night with a small amount of charcoal and it regulated heat very well and held for a long time. Won't have all the modifications done for the 4th as I am out of town for work the rest of the week but it seemed to do real well last night.

Brown Sugar
Paprika
Cumin
Salt
Pepper
Cayan pepper
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder

A lot of Brown sugar and Paprika (mainly just a filler) and I put equal amounts of the others in typically. I put more Cayan than a lot of people like but I cook what I like...sorry fawkers...

I really have no amount of each. It's different every time. It makes a nice bark and tastes real good. On the ribs I typically try to get them sweeter than my Butt so less Cayan pepper maybe more black pepper as that's a different taste.
I'm the same way with butt vs ribs, I like the ribs to be a bit sweeter than the but because a hot rub on the ribs can easily overpower the flavor of the meat.

Hahaha. That's what she said.

Or he said in today's world I guess.

You should man. I enjoy sitting at the lake on the holidays cooking a buncha good food and sippin beers.

I enjoy sitting at the lake on the holidays cooking a buncha good food and sippin beers.
Why would I get a smoker then? I can just come and sit with you at the lake. I would be stuck smoking meat in my backyard and it isn't anywhere near any water. Plus drinking all day with a pregnant wife at home isn't the best idea if you know what is good for you. All kidding aside though I need to get a smoker. My old neighbor had a propane powered one, but I keep eyeballing something charcoal based.

I'll be starting Friday sometime. Come on out.

And I like the charcoal based. I bought an infared stand up smoker and it just doesn't give the same texture or flavor. It's good for short runs like tenderloins and chickens. Great for steaks. But the offset smoker just does it for me. Kinda have to maintain them so it keeps you busy through the cook.

On Memorial Day I started my butt at 12AM and woke up twice to add coals. It was done around 1pm iirc. It was money.

Im going to try ribs a little diff than I normally do. In a effort to really put some moisture and flavor in them. Im putting them in the crock pot a few hours on low with a variety of liquids for flavor and then to the smoker for a few hours with some natural lump charcoal and some Mr Stubbs chips.

Will it absorb any smoke that way? I have done them in the oven first then put them on the grill, but never the crock pot first. What about smoking them first then in the crockpot? I have also grilled them over high heat then steamed them in a pan for a few hours then threw them on the grill to tighten them back up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was just gone be an experiment but after Matt made his comment I decided against it. But there are in the fridge marinating in some secret sauce I made up. I'll post a pic once they are done.