Mountain bike riding

I just got back from trying out the new ride. ITS FREAKING HOT! I got a call from my relator and she said get to packing. So I have to make hay while the sun is shining. We have to plan a dupont day for sure now. All I can think about its riding then diving in Hooker Falls.

I did the same, and I concur. Hot.

It wasn't a great idea riding in 96+ when I'm out of shape, but it felt great getting back on a bike. The ride is so smooth compared to my hard tail (shocking I know).

Here's my new ride

Very nice Cary. Where did you ride? I agree about the smooth ride, I was clicking along twice my normal speed just grinning. Ive got a lot of tires to choose from. I almost took the Nobby Nicks off and set up My Maxxis Ikons tubeless before I left for a faster ride. Glad I didn't, I needed every bit of traction in the corners and curves, been along time since I've been that fast. Blowing thru turns everywhere.

i might be changing my gearing setup and run one sprocket up front and add one in the back since i cracked a tooth off the other day..save alittle weight also

Very nice Cary. Where did you ride?
I just did a quick loop on the canal single track here in Augusta. Once I get my legs back a little more I'll hit FATS and some others. I also have a set of 2.35 Ikons in the mail. They'll be here tomorrow. The tires that came with this bike are heavy. Switching to the Ikons is going to drop over a pound.

i might be changing my gearing setup and run one sprocket up front and add one in the back since i cracked a tooth off the other day..save alittle weight also
I did that too. Less to think about coming from years of SS riding.

Last edited:
Ya I have only gone into low gear once on the couple rides I did and it was pretty much because I was tired...with the right gearing the other way it pretty dang close to being the same

I can probably swing an early morning trip out to Dupont. Should have my chain fixed by lunch today. I just have to be careful with the baby only a few weeks away. Might be my last trip to Dupont until he gets here. I don't want to be to far from home just in case he decides to make an early appearance.

That was a fun ride. It was nice not stopping at the top of every climb for 10-15 minutes for people to catch their breath. Kept the momentum going. The newly manicured Ridgeline trail was incredible. All the additional rollers and banked turns really made it fun. I can't wait until it gets broke in and speeds up a little. I wonder how much trail work they have planned. They definitely had the equipment up there to make changes. Next time we will try to incorporate some of the rest of the park. I wasn't expecting 16 miles so I didn't route for it.

Finally got to put a proper beating on my new Lapierre. It came with Swalbe Nobby Nics performance series. Which felt very loose to me, way to much tread for this time of year. Imagine mud grips and a dirt track car. I've become a Maxxis fan so set my wheels up tubeless with Stans valve stems and a Maxxis Ikon 2.35 front and an Ikon 2.20 in the back. I have an Ardent and a Crossmark for the front depending on the time of year. They are a multi compound tire and the Ikon is very fast. I don't trust this tire on the geared bike. it was a good SS but I was blowing thru turns bad tonight. 25 miles at a 13+ average and felt strong all the way back. I love FS.

So, I was at The Dock Saturday night and the guy beside me was talking to a lady showing off pictures of his new bike. I introduced myself and said "hey I bet you know Deano" sure enough...

#Deanowolrdwide
Finally got to Dupont yesterday. Had a big group from here go and had a 35 mile ride planned. The rain had other plans. But I did get to hit Ridgeline. WOW!! Thats about all you can say. We got 23 miles in before dirt roading it back to Fawn Lake parking lot. Turkey Knob was a blast also. The Lapierre felt right at home on those trails.

#Deanowolrdwide
Finally got to Dupont yesterday. Had a big group from here go and had a 35 mile ride planned. The rain had other plans. But I did get to hit Ridgeline. WOW!! Thats about all you can say. We got 23 miles in before dirt roading it back to Fawn Lake parking lot. Turkey Knob was a blast also. The Lapierre felt right at home on those trails.
It is definitely worth the drive up there. Hopefully I can get up there this weekend. I need some stress relief after this week. Work has been nuts. Lucas is great but takes a ton of energy and is really hurting my sleep. Then top it off with my mom backing the old suburban into my neighbors mailbox and I am ready to pedal.

I think we lost the most recent MTB thread that Steve had started, but I did find this one. We need to get a group together to hit some trails this winter.