Saggy Tonneau Cover (Solved)

Probably last summer I posted a couple questions around water pooling up on my Bestop Duster Deck Cover and it sagging badly when it warmed up. I found/pointed too a product made by Skid Row Offroad called The Tonno Prop.

jp0102othe.jpg

The Tonno Prop uses two brackets on either side of the tub and utilizes a fiberglass bow, with a disclaimer "Warning: Wear gloves while handlingthe fiberglass slat to prevent yourself fromgetting any splinters in your hands. If you doget a fiberglass splinter, use a piece of ducttape to remove it by placing the sticky sideover the splinter and then quickly pulling itaway. Yet another use for duct tape!". I emailed and got a nice replay that while it was possible to get a splinter, it wasn't common. So off i go to purchase said kit for the reasonable price of $56 bucks.

That was fine and dandy until i got the quote for $26 to ship the darn thing. I decided it wasn't worth the $82 bucks.

A coworker came by my office and we had a short conversation about what i was trying to do and he pointed me to a boating product. One thing lead to another and i found this little gem.
10796sds.jpg
Made by Attwood - Available on amazonPrime for $8.21

*Notice a similarity here?
tonnoprop.png

While surfing the Attwood website i noticed they also sold the "bow" in both wood and fiberglass.
I decided to go with the wood bow due to my severe dislike of fiberglass spurs.
Once again amazonPrime to the rescue, I paid way too much for the bow but had it next day. This will get you to the bow. If i had to do it again i would probably cut my own bow.
The bow came unfinished so I coated it with a little deck stain/sealer to waterproof it up.

Total investment was about $33 and 20 minutes.

Mounted the brackets directly to the tub with stainless hardware. Eyeballed where i thought it should mount.
img2015052.jpg
One advantage to mounting them this way is they shouldn't interfere with the hardtop and can stay on.

Measured and repeated on the other side.
img201vuv.jpg

Cut the bow to ~ 57 inches, Tested, Recut at 55.5 inches for final fit.
img201uiu.jpg

Finished shot. I might go back and add a second bow, but this should keep the water from pooling and the top from sagging when warm.
img201gug.jpg

That is a cool product. I had that problem with my TJ and never did anything to solve it. It does look like a second bow would keep the back from pooling.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I couldn't find this thread earlier, so I texted Tripp to remind me what he did. I just ordered the last 2 of the attwood brackets that Amazon had in stock. If I can convince Tripp to cut me a couple bows, I wont have a pooling issue by Windrock :).