97 TJ transfer case

I've got a 97 tj 2.5L, 5 speed. 4x4 is gone. ive been looking for a used stock tcase for a while but haven't found a single one. Should I try and find a used np231 or is there an alternative tcase I can get? Thanks!

4x4 is gone, what are the symptoms? That could be any number of things. Could just need a new chain. Is there a driveshaft in it? Is the shifter aligned properly? Did your shifter pop out of the mount on the body?

Not entirely sure. My wife bought it this way. It hasn't had 4x4 since she got it in October. Tried shifting it into 4wd, it was really stiff and hard to move the lever. Never really felt anything engage or catch. There is a driveshaft in it.

Not entirely sure. My wife bought it this way. It hasn't had 4x4 since she got it in October. Tried shifting it into 4wd, it was really stiff and hard to move the lever. Never really felt anything engage or catch. There is a driveshaft in it.
does it have a lift on it? does it have a tcase drop?

Only has a 2" body lift
there is your problem right there. No need for a new tcase. Your shifter linkage is probably binding from the 2" body lift. Here is what I would do. Remove the 2" body lift and replace with a 2" spacer lift on the springs. That should get your tcase shifter back where it should be.

The problem arises because part of the shifter mechanism is mounted on the body tub, and part is mounted to the tcase. So when you lift the body it misaligns the shifter linkage and causes it to bind, pop out, or not function at all.

there is your problem right there. No need for a new tcase. Your shifter linkage is probably binding from the 2" body lift. Here is what I would do. Remove the 2" body lift and replace with a 2" spacer lift on the springs. That should get your tcase shifter back where it should be.

The problem arises because part of the shifter mechanism is mounted on the body tub, and part is mounted to the tcase. So when you lift the body it misaligns the shifter linkage and causes it to bind, pop out, or not function at all.
Is there a way i can check and make sure that's the problem before I start changing things? I'm planning on removing the body lift and installing a 3" or 4" suspension lift, but I wanted to get my tcase and transmission issue resolved first.

Is there a way i can check and make sure that's the problem before I start changing things? I'm planning on removing the body lift and installing a 3" or 4" suspension lift, but I wanted to get my tcase and transmission issue resolved first.
crawl underneath and shift it manually. You could also take a picture of the shifter linkage and post it.