Driveline Vibes from 40-50, then 60+MPH

I have had some major Driveline vibes for a few years and thought it was my rear uppers were out of alignment, or maybe my axle was fubared. I just put in an 8.8, and new adjustable uppers so that my drive shaft and pinion are right around 17degrees each.

The ride is smooth as can be until I hit right around 40, then smoothes out (not entirely) until 60 when it gets bad again.

My trans case has an SYE, that does leak at the seal, and has since i put it in. I have replaced the output seal once and it still does it.

It does not seem to be RPM specific.

Any ideas? I have played with it for a few days and can not seem to make it better, and I don't want to destroy the pinion bearing on the axle while trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

I have had some major Driveline vibes for a few years and thought it was my rear uppers were out of alignment, or maybe my axle was fubared. I just put in an 8.8, and new adjustable uppers so that my drive shaft and pinion are right around 17degrees each.

The ride is smooth as can be until I hit right around 40, then smoothes out (not entirely) until 60 when it gets bad again.

My trans case has an SYE, that does leak at the seal, and has since i put it in. I have replaced the output seal once and it still does it.

It does not seem to be RPM specific.

Any ideas? I have played with it for a few days and can not seem to make it better, and I don't want to destroy the pinion bearing on the axle while trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks!
did the vibration change when you put in the 8.8?

Sane shaft from Carolina Driveline I have had for years. The Joints have been greased fairly regularly and appeared in good shape when we pulled it during the 8.8 swap. The splines did not appear warn, but I didnt pull it apart to verify either. You think the driveshaft may be the cause?

Sane shaft from Carolina Driveline I have had for years. The Joints have been greased fairly regularly and appeared in good shape when we pulled it during the 8.8 swap. The splines did not appear warn, but I didnt pull it apart to verify either. You think the driveshaft may be the cause?
I wore out my fair share of driveshaft parts before I started keeping mine greased religiously. Mostly the splines would wear on mine. Have you tried pulling the front shaft to see if any of the vibes are coming from the front?

I havent. I can try that this week. I know my front axle needs some TLC. The LockRight is down right shot, and the Trackbar needs replacing...

I havent. I can try that this week. I know my front axle needs some TLC. The LockRight is down right shot, and the Trackbar needs replacing...
I would try that first, but if your rear ds has worn splines, or the centering ball is worn it will vibe. Also, the front can cause some serious vibes if the pinion angle is off, or if the splines are worn.

Got around to pulling the shaft off the pinion this morning. I think I found the problem. I have vertical and horizontal movement when I apply force to the pinion yolk. I havent had time to drop the tcase skid and pull the whole shaft, and since I am sure this is a problem that must be addressed anyway, i am thinking of strapping the drive shaft up and taking it to someone to fix that first.

Do you think that is the problem or a symptom of something else? I know I still need to put in my adjustable uppers and lowers. could that have cause the pinion wobble?

Who are you guys taking your rigs to for differential work? Cheap and quality work are what I want....I dont care about speed :p

Thanks!

Got around to pulling the shaft off the pinion this morning. I think I found the problem. I have vertical and horizontal movement when I apply force to the pinion yolk. I havent had time to drop the tcase skid and pull the whole shaft, and since I am sure this is a problem that must be addressed anyway, i am thinking of strapping the drive shaft up and taking it to someone to fix that first.

Do you think that is the problem or a symptom of something else? I know I still need to put in my adjustable uppers and lowers. could that have cause the pinion wobble?

Who are you guys taking your rigs to for differential work? Cheap and quality work are what I want....I dont care about speed :p

Thanks!
are you talking about the front? a bad pinoin bearing can definately cause vibrations.

I would just completely remove the front shaft. After I read about someone pole vaulting there jeep in a pot hole from a disconnected front shaft. Granted your drive shaft will probably bottom out on the skid before it hits the ground but I'd play it safe

I'll see if I can drop the Tran skid and pull it if I can't strap it up good and tight. It won't hit the ground due to the skid , but I would like to keep it away from the diff yolk...

in college I had to disconnect mine after every trip and ran around with it ziptied to my frame in between because mine was bent and I couldnt afford a new one for a while. In 2wd the front shaft doesnt turn, so it will be fine to have it strapped to the frame. Just dont use bread ties and you should be fine.

Pulled the front shaft..vibes gone. Gonna make a few calls to see how much to redo the pinion bearings :(

Any good shops around town that wont cost more than a couple hundred?