BlacRubi 1 Ton DD Build

im on christmas break until january 12 and during that time i plan to acquire a 14 bolt and disc break it, gear it, and instal it in the rear, replacing the 16 spline dana 60 that i have now. that axle will also be getting an arb air locker around march of 2011.
ill post up some pics when progress begins thanks

been a while but i got a 14bolt geared it to match the front put some disk brakes on it and got a grizzly locker on the way.

here are a couple pics from last weekend at the save the gulches ride.

jeep23.jpg

jeep24-1.jpg

jeep25.jpg

and a couple at a buddys pond

pond4.jpg

pond1.jpg

pond3.jpg

pond2.jpg

pond5.jpg

now the thread is up to date and i will start posting updates on here.
currently im still working on getting the 14 bolt in. the 14 bolt has all the brackets welded on and the only reason its not in yet is because i dont have the means to crush the crush collar. so as soon as i figure that out it will be ready to bolt in.

Well the rear 16 spline 60 finally let go a couple weeks ago during a good ol tug-o-war. needless to say its about time i have an excuse to tear it all apart again and install the 14bolt. I sourced a 78 single rear wheel 14 bolt from pull-a-part and installed a set of yukon 5.38 r&p, and yukon grizzly locker, and disc brakes from my 60. I added a WFO truss to the axle with the pinion guard. Also ditched the coils and shocks for a set of Fox 2.0 16" airshocks. Im also reworking the rear 4 link in hopes of some better numbers. Enough bore here are some recent pics.

airshocks
newjeep3.jpg

wfo truss/lower control arm mounts and bump pads
newjeep2.jpg

14 bolt/links
newjeep.jpg

so currently the jeep is on jack stands with the lowers bolted in and we are currently workin on adjusting the upper frame mounts as well as the geometry of the rear suspension. i have mixed feelings about the airshocks but im going to give them a shot cause i found a deal to good to pass up. hopefully the jeep will be back to working order by next weekend.

It now has coilovers in the rear instead of the airshocks (go figure) and the rear suspension was re-done, again. Front is now a three-link w/trac bar. More stable than before, anti-squat is still alittle high though. Its also stretched alot more. Comp cut is well used now. Its alot more drivable. He just needs to ditch the LTB's for a set of 40 kevlars or KM2's. Then he wont have a reason to not wheel it.

In the air shocks defense, the rear axle was thrown in there crooked and I don't think they played with the oil any. They did bring the suck on it though you could lift it up and it would stay. It looks a lot better since clippa did work to it. Haven't seen it up close yet though.

Said he had bad experience or luck with mtr's on that thing, I forget his reasoning. Even some pitbull maddogs would look good and prob be not bad on road.

The air shocks had nothing to do with the bad behavior from the rear chad just had money burning in his pocket and had to have the coil overs(which were only slightly better). It was purely the **** suspension geometry that was there from when brad built it. The air shocks just didn't fight it any. The anti squat was outrageous something like 140% if I remember right, it also had around 8* of oversteer. Putting in the 14 bolt made it worse since there was way more vertical separation at the axle side.

Havent updated this in forever. A lot has changed since the last time. I got the 14b in the rear and it now sits on some 14" Fox coil overs. 14b is stuffed with a yukon grizzly and 5.38s to match the front. Clippa reworked the rear suspension a little bit to help some with the bad anti squat but it cant really get much better with the huge wfo truss thats on it now. i plan to grab an artec here pretty soon to get better geometry. Clippa also converted the front to a 3-link with panhard. with the new suspension the jeep rides better than ever. steering feels solid and the only complaint is that the rear springs are too stiff. currently running 150/200 and plan to rework the upper shock towers for more up travel and go with 150/175 springs. i recently got a box of yukon goodies from complete off road. got some 4340 35 spline outers, new pinion install kit, forged yoke, new u-joint strap kit, and the chromo hardcore locking hubs. i have the axle torn down now and have taken the old stubs off and installed the new ones. gotta take the pinion up to parts plus to get the bearings pressed off and new ones pressed on. then just reassembly is left.

many of you also know that im in desperate need of some new tires. the ltbs have lasted a little over 2 years but are real close to being completely bald. im hoping to be getting a daily driver soon so i hope to get some sticky treps. if i dont get a dd im gonna need some non sticky 40s. im really leaning toward 39" blue krawlers but am still open to suggestions. maybe 41.5 radial pit bull rockers or 40" km2s. any other suggestions on DOT tires? going to upload some pics later on today.