Grand Dads Cj5

I'm running a t18/d20 in my YJ. It needs a rebuild but still keeps working so I keep not pulling it out to rebuild.. lol

I'm pretty certain that the Jeep t18 never came with a d300 at any point, but if they are already together and working its fine. A Ford t-18 would easily adapt to a d300.

The Scout case will work, but doesn't use all 5 mount bolts like the d20 does. It would be fine for a mild rig, but I know Tommy swapped the Scout case into his buggy after I bought his tera-low d20 and promptly broke the case in half. After that he ponied up for the AA adapter and installed a normal d300.

BTW, I dig this rig. I wish I could talk myself into buying Dan's m38, but I'm convinced I won't fit. My wife gave me the stock answer when I showed it to her. "Sell the boat" :blah:

I'm running a t18/d20 in my YJ. It needs a rebuild but still keeps working so I keep not pulling it out to rebuild.. lol

I'm pretty certain that the Jeep t18 never came with a d300 at any point, but if they are already together and working its fine. A Ford t-18 would easily adapt to a d300.

The Scout case will work, but doesn't use all 5 mount bolts like the d20 does. It would be fine for a mild rig, but I know Tommy swapped the Scout case into his buggy after I bought his tera-low d20 and promptly broke the case in half. After that he ponied up for the AA adapter and installed a normal d300.

BTW, I dig this rig. I wish I could talk myself into buying Dan's m38, but I'm convinced I won't fit. My wife gave me the stock answer when I showed it to her. "Sell the boat" :blah:
Tommy is who's combo Im getting. We talked earlier. I may just keep my 20 so he can just keep both 300's. Since that t18 will give me all the low range I want I don't need the 300 with the 4.1 option. This will mainly be an easy trail dirt road jeep.

Yeah, I've been wheeling for years with mine. With the bigger tires I'm running now I would like to get the 3.15 case installed. That will get me 90:1.

Tommy is still running stock 300 gears right? What is he looking to install? I haven't talked with him in a while.

Yeah, I've been wheeling for years with mine. With the bigger tires I'm running now I would like to get the 3.15 case installed. That will get me 90:1.

Tommy is still running stock 300 gears right? What is he looking to install? I haven't talked with him in a while.
He's been tossing the idea of an automatic around and a v8. He has a 727 ready to bolt to the 4.0 so he said he may just do that. The 300 has stock gears. He comes from the old school days when the best way to obtain low gearing was with the trans. Back before case gears was an option. I remember when everybody got on the t18/sm465-435 kick.

Yeah. I bought his old d20. He was looking for a little taller gear than the 3.15 case he had. I've considered an auto as well, but I like working the clutch. Would sure make things easier on the trail. If the right parts fell in my I'd probably try it.

When you said 90.1 I got to thinking I have figured crawl ratio's in awhile so I got to thinking. In my old one ton yota if I would have had the t-18 instead of the th350 that would have given me 184.1 lol.

Been doing some homework on this engine and my options. While I'm almost 100% it has 4.10's in it I think once loaded down with tools and camping gears and possibly towing the pop up and Mtn bikes its going to need alittle more in the overdrive department. This 304 has 130hp and like 270ish torq. Chatting with my hot rod buddies they seem to think a set of headers, intake and a 4 barrel carb will really wake it up. I don't wanna get into cams and all that.
Was looking at those Holley Trcuk Avenger carbs. Seems they really tried to address a lot of off-road characteristics with it. So what kinda HP could I expect with a few bolt ons?

Full length headers, delete emissions, change to a better intake, and upgrade the ignition and you will see a very good difference for the money. A 4BBL will make a world of difference also. I would consider a new style self learning EFI such as FAST if this is something you plan on keeping. It's too cool of a vehicle to do a motor swap IMO. Just too clean and original.

I agree about the motor swap. It's killing me because by the time I buy these few parts I could do the 3.8 supercharged. It shares clutches and flywheels with the old Buick v6 from back in the day. Bolts right up and there is no comparison across the board. Better fuel economy, way more power. But that's overthinking things. Which I'm a pro at.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I didn't realize it was a 304. I agree with Matt about the self learning efi. It would be expensive but probably save you a lot of trouble in the long run, especially considering the altitude changes you'll see.

no way I do self learning efi on that engine. you talking over 3k new and 2k used if can find a setup. I would do propane or stock GM tbi on a stock or mild 304. If going to drop 3k in efi, may as well do the 3.8 swap and be way ahead of the game.

I didn't realize it was a 304. I agree with Matt about the self learning efi. It would be expensive but probably save you a lot of trouble in the long run, especially considering the altitude changes you'll see.
That's the biggest reason I'm looking at more power and an all around better tunable setup. 13k ft will make my 130hp feel like a 22r.