Grand Dads Cj5

I eye balled this Jeep the first time my wife took me to meet her parents. When I saw the Jeep I said "I gotta marry this women". It was in his barn and didn't run for I don't know how long. The new Bfg's are dry rotted little so I know it sat along time. He's not mechanical at all and knows I like tinkering with stuff. I was also scheming for some alone time to ask for his blessing. Which is a scary feeling. Real scary. Being a Jeep guy in my early 20's I pretty much studied them 24/7. Gotta remember that was the pre-cell phone high speed internet era. So I had atleast 10 years of 4 different magazines stacked up with pages high lighted of things I wanted to do one day. One day he just walks up to my wife with the title and gives it to her. My wheels have been turning ever since. It only has 67k miles on it and I didn't wanna touch it or mess it up. Being we will never sell it Ive decided to use the jeep for its intended purpose. Trail riding/mild wheeling and camping trip. Its priceless so keeping it all original and blah blah blah is only good to me if your going to sell it one day. I wanna use it. Being we are headed to Ouray Co in sept (home of the first jeep jamboree) I feel its only fitting to take it.

Ordered some 33x10.50 km2's. They should be here after lunch. Went this morning to get them put on and he had ordered all terrains. Those were my only w choices in a 10.50. The Km2 will look good I think. Ill post some pics later on. Hopefully get my hands on an older style 8274 a friend said I could get soon. That will really set it off I think. Also scored all the power steering stuff I need for $150. Picking up a d300 for it tomorrow and pulling the 20 out and installing a new clutch that I picked up yesterday. The thought behind the 300 was to put 4.1's in it and keep the axle gears in it for good highway speed. Im planning on driving it to Oscar if I can find a couple people going little slower. If it will tow my small pop up id like to tow it.

What a beauty. I always like your builds. Your not gonna know what to do having to keep this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell me this Steve. Im thinking about the armor. Tube fenders, crusher corners and rocker protection. Im wanting it to patina like the rest of the jeep. Im not wanting to pretty it up. I want to keep the old school look. I was thinking half *** paint them gray and see if the bare metal underneath would kinda surface rust thru?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Tell me this Steve. Im thinking about the armor. Tube fenders, crusher corners and rocker protection. Im wanting it to patina like the rest of the jeep. Im not wanting to pretty it up. I want to keep the old school look. I was thinking half *** paint them gray and see if the bare metal underneath would kinda surface rust thru?
It's a lot of work, but do you remember the Trucks TV show project ClassSix? If not see if you can find the episodes online somewhere. They did a patina paint job on it using multiple colors, rubbing with paint thinner, more paint.... and then cleared it all.

Id love to do that. Clearing it all and sealing everything up would be sweet. I wanna get the interior floor linexed when I order the new seats.

I would think you would want brown paint to show through rather than rust.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/paint-body/0708sr-building-a-better-beater/

Ordered some 33x10.50 km2's. They should be here after lunch. Went this morning to get them put on and he had ordered all terrains. Those were my only w choices in a 10.50. The Km2 will look good I think. Ill post some pics later on. Hopefully get my hands on an older style 8274 a friend said I could get soon. That will really set it off I think. Also scored all the power steering stuff I need for $150. Picking up a d300 for it tomorrow and pulling the 20 out and installing a new clutch that I picked up yesterday. The thought behind the 300 was to put 4.1's in it and keep the axle gears in it for good highway speed. Im planning on driving it to Oscar if I can find a couple people going little slower. If it will tow my small pop up id like to tow it.
Who did u order from? I may want the A/T's

Let me look it up but I've patina'd stuff using a vinegar and peroxide solution. Pretty much half and half I believe and let it sit. Id prime the back and do that on front.

Guy I work with now is into cars and has a patina'd rat rod I'll ask him what all they did to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice!!!

do you have the adapter for the dana 300? Or is it the Texas pattern scout one??
I was aware I need an adapter Dan. I thought It was just a direct swap. How thick is this adapter? I'd like to keep the same drive shafts and shifters in the same hole. I have a 304/t150/20 if that helps.

Are you going to sell any of the stock parts? I can't believe you are going to add tube fenders. Boo to that. Please don't sell any of the stock parts without giving me a buzz.