Shop Talk - tools, tricks, ideas

I like the vice. I need to throw one together still. Just ordered a new voltage switch for my welder since someone sheered off the post on the old one a few years ago. Finally can weld smaller stuff when it comes in so should be back in the shop a decent bit.

Putting gas on your welder Ron is night and day. I rented a bottle for awhile from oconee welding supply but ended up buying it and it wasn't bad at all, maybe 200-250 but since I'd rented it for 2 years at $50 it only cost $150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting gas on your welder Ron is night and day. I rented a bottle for awhile from oconee welding supply but ended up buying it and it wasn't bad at all, maybe 200-250 but since I'd rented it for 2 years at $50 it only cost $150.

I have thought about getting a bottle for it. I had it set up once but the regulator I have leaked somewhere and my bottle was empty in a few days. I said screw it after that. (There is also a 10lb spool of flux that needs burning) If I can find a cheap bottle I may set it back up.

Also I am about to pull out my 231 today and tear it apart to see what needs to be replaced. Reading somewhere someone said you need retaining ring pliers? Like this: 31eDjF1DfNL.jpg

Are they really necessary? I have spent the last 10 minutes trying to find a set and they cost around $50, then most places I check say there is no difference between "retaining ring" pliers and "snap ring" pliers.

I have thought about getting a bottle for it. I had it set up once but the regulator I have leaked somewhere and my bottle was empty in a few days. I said screw it after that. (There is also a 10lb spool of flux that needs burning) If I can find a cheap bottle I may set it back up.

Also I am about to pull out my 231 today and tear it apart to see what needs to be replaced. Reading somewhere someone said you need retaining ring pliers? Like this: 31eDjF1DfNL.jpg

Are they really necessary? I have spent the last 10 minutes trying to find a set and they cost around $50, then most places I check say there is no difference between "retaining ring" pliers and "snap ring" pliers.
When I did the SYE swap on my 231 the biggest problem I had was getting the snap rings on and off. My light duty plyers were not up for the job. I had to modify a set of needle nose plyers I had to even have a chance to get the very stiff rings on and off. Other than that the job went pretty smooth.

When I did the SYE swap on my 231 the biggest problem I had was getting the snap rings on and off. My light duty plyers were not up for the job. I had to modify a set of needle nose plyers I had to even have a chance to get the very stiff rings on and off. Other than that the job went pretty smooth.
Yeah I am thinking about getting a nice set. I have the cheap ones with interchangeable heads and they suck. I need to do a complete tear down of it and replace the chain seals and bearings. Anyone know if Advance has a bearing removal kit in their loaner tools?

If you need to get a new regulator or flowmeter buy online as they're usually cheaper. I got a flowmeter awhile back from air gas in gville for the pricey sum of $175.

Look on eBay for a good brand of pliers used. You can usually find a really nice pair for the price of a crappy pair. I've bought sockets like that before, I've got $50 into a set of 1/2" shallow and deep sockets in every size you can think of made by SK tools. Pawn shops usually selling stuff for cheap.

OReilly Auto Parts has the retaining ring pliers and they are considerably cheaper than 50 dollars, and yes they make getting the retaining rings off a good bit easier.

Been thinking about this thread lately.

I picked up this at Home Depot to run sanding disc on my 4" grinder. Makes metal finishing nice and sanding disc are cheaper then flap disc
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426693744.578825.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426693753.861057.jpg

I've got a hood that uses 2" x 4 1/4" lens that I have a lot of fixed shade and 2 auto lens I throw in it that's nice and lightweight and the lens are cheap. When I'm welding in a tight spot like crammed under a car with your body wrapped around an axle and you don't have much room for a regular hood, I put a lens in a pair of cutting goggles. I'm not good with shutting the eyes and turning my head to tack or weld.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426694283.711569.jpg

Ya I've got a speedglas that's my nice auto and it's like wearing a space helmet trying to get into tight places, has no flex at all with it. I need to grab another pair of goggles that has the flip down lens on it and I'll just leave a fixed shade in it. I've gotten into a lot of situations where the auto sensors will get blocked and it will flash you.

Both of those are awesome ideas Steve. I dropped a lot of money (for a college student) on flap discs over my 5 year stay. And I also bitched a bunch while wearing my speedglass under the Jeep.