Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop Talk - tools, tricks, ideas

City
    augusta
    State
    GA
    Put this together today. I can bring it on trail rides. Something to throw in the tool box. I'll probably add a receiver to my trailer soon as well.

I like the vice. I need to throw one together still. Just ordered a new voltage switch for my welder since someone sheered off the post on the old one a few years ago. Finally can weld smaller stuff when it comes in so should be back in the shop a decent bit.

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Brooks, you need to post a picture of your new home made trim removal tool ;)
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Putting gas on your welder Ron is night and day. I rented a bottle for awhile from oconee welding supply but ended up buying it and it wasn't bad at all, maybe 200-250 but since I'd rented it for 2 years at $50 it only cost $150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve97tj View Post
    Putting gas on your welder Ron is night and day. I rented a bottle for awhile from oconee welding supply but ended up buying it and it wasn't bad at all, maybe 200-250 but since I'd rented it for 2 years at $50 it only cost $150.

I have thought about getting a bottle for it. I had it set up once but the regulator I have leaked somewhere and my bottle was empty in a few days. I said screw it after that. (There is also a 10lb spool of flux that needs burning) If I can find a cheap bottle I may set it back up.

Also I am about to pull out my 231 today and tear it apart to see what needs to be replaced. Reading somewhere someone said you need retaining ring pliers? Like this:

Are they really necessary? I have spent the last 10 minutes trying to find a set and they cost around $50, then most places I check say there is no difference between "retaining ring" pliers and "snap ring" pliers.

City
    Seneca
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Clemson5.9ZJ View Post
    I have thought about getting a bottle for it. I had it set up once but the regulator I have leaked somewhere and my bottle was empty in a few days. I said screw it after that. (There is also a 10lb spool of flux that needs burning) If I can find a cheap bottle I may set it back up.

Also I am about to pull out my 231 today and tear it apart to see what needs to be replaced. Reading somewhere someone said you need retaining ring pliers? Like this:

Are they really necessary? I have spent the last 10 minutes trying to find a set and they cost around $50, then most places I check say there is no difference between "retaining ring" pliers and "snap ring" pliers.
    When I did the SYE swap on my 231 the biggest problem I had was getting the snap rings on and off. My light duty plyers were not up for the job. I had to modify a set of needle nose plyers I had to even have a chance to get the very stiff rings on and off. Other than that the job went pretty smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohsho View Post
    When I did the SYE swap on my 231 the biggest problem I had was getting the snap rings on and off. My light duty plyers were not up for the job. I had to modify a set of needle nose plyers I had to even have a chance to get the very stiff rings on and off. Other than that the job went pretty smooth.
    Yeah I am thinking about getting a nice set. I have the cheap ones with interchangeable heads and they suck. I need to do a complete tear down of it and replace the chain seals and bearings. Anyone know if Advance has a bearing removal kit in their loaner tools?

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    If you need to get a new regulator or flowmeter buy online as they're usually cheaper. I got a flowmeter awhile back from air gas in gville for the pricey sum of $175.

Look on eBay for a good brand of pliers used. You can usually find a really nice pair for the price of a crappy pair. I've bought sockets like that before, I've got $50 into a set of 1/2" shallow and deep sockets in every size you can think of made by SK tools. Pawn shops usually selling stuff for cheap.

City
    Greenwood
    State
    SC
    OReilly Auto Parts has the retaining ring pliers and they are considerably cheaper than 50 dollars, and yes they make getting the retaining rings off a good bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by 87sami View Post
    OReilly Auto Parts has the retaining ring pliers and they are considerably cheaper than 50 dollars, and yes they make getting the retaining rings off a good bit easier.
    Awesome there is one right down the road from my work. Going to stop on the way home.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast