Shop Talk - tools, tricks, ideas

What tools are you using in your shop, hand tools, fab stuff etc. Got a new tool to show off or that makes your life easier, post it up. Or if you have one you absolutely hate and people should not waste their money on, let us know! Storage ideas, anything shop related bring it.

Brooks showed me this one back in the day. Take two old u bolts and weld them together like an S and use as a brake caliper hanger. I used a coat hanger before this and the u bolts are a lot easier, can just slide one end in the frame and hang the caliper. I don't have a picture but heres one they actually sell with the same idea:
41RKtSq6VKL._SY300_.jpg

Also after breaking a ton of dana 30 shafts I found a use for them. My wooden handle snapped off my 3lb sledge. I cut off a 30 shaft and welded it to the head of the hammer. This thing is a beast now.

As far as tools I am still behind the times and using a Hobart 140 flux core, two dewalt angle grinders with cut off wheels, ghetto wood benches and not to much else. I am setting up my torches over xmas.

Anyone have any experience with this saw? http://www.harborfreight.com/horizontal-vertical-metal-cutting-bandsaw-93762.html

You like it a lot? I thought about getting one of those instead. My chop saw went out so I need to get a new one and decided why not get a band saw instead. Like the portaband because you can actually move it wherever versus the HF vertical/horizontal. How does the portaband do cutting out 3/16-1/4?
It works great, its much more user friendly with the table, I found it hard to cut through 1.5" .25" wall DOM by hand but its easy with the table. It cuts 1/4 great, but you have to remember you only have a 4" throat, so no long cuts.

I thought about creating this awhile back. I've got a 20 ton shop press that i've been wanting to make some dies and such for to get more use out of it. I've been really wanting to get the SWAG offroad finger brake for it, and i think i am going to finally pull the trigger on it soon, I've been eyeing it for a a few years and considered making something like it but it's costly to just buy his kit.

I've got his table for my Milwaukee portaband and its pretty badass. I put it on a stand and use a footswitch and zip tie the trigger on it. I'd like to improve my stand and or just mount it to my welding table but make it removable.

I've been meaning to pick up a screw jack and welding either a nut or socket to it to use it with a ratchet or with my 3/8" impact. They are pretty awesome when your building something and need to level it or set pinion angle on an axle.

I thought about creating this awhile back. I've got a 20 ton shop press that i've been wanting to make some dies and such for to get more use out of it. I've been really wanting to get the SWAG offroad finger brake for it, and i think i am going to finally pull the trigger on it soon, I've been eyeing it for a a few years and considered making something like it but it's costly to just buy his kit.

I've got his table for my Milwaukee portaband and its pretty badass. I put it on a stand and use a footswitch and zip tie the trigger on it. I'd like to improve my stand and or just mount it to my welding table but make it removable.

I've been meaning to pick up a screw jack and welding either a nut or socket to it to use it with a ratchet or with my 3/8" impact. They are pretty awesome when your building something and need to level it or set pinion angle on an axle.
I like that last idea. As far as the mounting the table and making it removable I think a receiver hitch set up for the welding table would be nice. Then you could weld some mounts on your trailer or whatever and throw the saw in the toolbox for big trips and whatever else you had mounted like a vice.

Was on the phone with Dave last night and he found portabands on CL for 120-180 when we were talking about it. Might grab one over christmas break and get to work. I have just been slacking lately because I don't want to cut with the angle grinder anymore.

In atlanta I mounted a vice like that to the table with a reciever hitch. It was pretty damn handy.

Company I work for makes these pipe horses which the top part is these roller clamps for pipe up to 38". I got two of the upper parts I'm planning to make some horses out of them.

Also have a hanger for my grinders that's pretty nice. Swag offroad also makes some grinder hangers that are convenient.

F'n tapatalk won't let me upload ****. I'll post a pic in a sec.

In atlanta I mounted a vice like that to the table with a reciever hitch. It was pretty damn handy.

Company I work for makes these pipe horses which the top part is these roller clamps for pipe up to 38". I got two of the upper parts I'm planning to make some horses out of them.

Also have a hanger for my grinders that's pretty nice. Swag offroad also makes some grinder hangers that are convenient.

F'n tapatalk won't let me upload ****. I'll post a pic in a sec.
I need a swag gift card haha. I want a few things they sell. Love their clutter catcher, but once I get my torches up again might just make something like this.

1F2347C9-02CE-4558-B2B1-A3256C7DE60A-6992-00000551FF9FD708_zpsdd3ff575.jpg

swag-clutter-catcher.jpg

i have a nice vise mounted to a plate with 2in receiver tubing that i keep in my tool box on the trailer.. i have the receiver part mounted on the trailer so i can use it for trail fixs

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418777848.008429.jpg
Grinder rack. Just laying on lip of the cart for now but I'll eventually mount it somewhere.

Older air tool rack that I'm about to cut and make room for a 4" grinder and leave at work. Air tool racks are awesome if you use air tools, a lot easier to find then having them laying around
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418778022.025914.jpg

I've also recently acquired about 5' of acme rod I'd like to build something with, pipestand maybe but it's not that burly enough I don't think to put much weight on
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418778172.152339.jpg