AX-15 - Rebuild Time?

Anybody know where I might can source the shifter bushing and ball bushing? Like tomorrow, in the Columbia area. Figured I'd call the dealer in the morning. uploadfromtaptalk1425098708996.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

So.... The plot thickens.... Got everything put back together and drove the jeep home the other day. About 6miles. No leaks everything in the clear.

Today before leaving work I took a peak under the jeep and saw considerable oil residue. I drove it the 30 miles each way to work and back. I notice I have a good bit of transmission fluid from what appears to be high passenger side running down and puddling on the skid plate. I also see a considerable amount of atf leaking from the rear seal of the freshly installed sye. Its actually leaking from the seal that rides against the output yoke.

Now my questions...
Is it possible I overfilled the trans and its expanding out the top vent? I put 3.5quarts of MT-90 in till it spilled per the transmission vendors instructions.

Does it take time for that output shaft seal to bed to the output yoke?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No clue on the filling of the trans. Don't really know where a Manual would leak from but have never messed with a AX-15. Possibly too full and throwing it through the shifter area??

On the rear seal it sounds like it may have gotten pinched when putting the Yoke on to me.

Mine is weeping a little at the center steel collar. Has the fill plug been reinstalled and tightened? Since you filled from the top maybe they didnt tighten it down when they shipped it to you.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I filled it from the side. On the top, next to the snifter is a vent. I'm thinking its puking out of the vent.
Do new transmissions have a break in period where they may run hotter like axle gears? If things are breaking in the oil could be getting hot and puking out the vent...

So, Its defiantly not coming out of the vent.

Degreases/Cleaned it up good, then took it around the block (10-15) miles, this is what i found.

It appears to be coming from this plug and somewhere at the rear seal or the bottom/back of the housing.

img8753w.jpg
img8756w.jpg
img8762w.jpg
img8762w.jpg

The SYE leak really appears to be the output yoke seal.
Im not 100% sure i put silicon on the splines but i know it put it on the rubber washer when i installed the yoke and torqued that bitch to 150 ft. lbs.
img8776.jpg
img8777w.jpg
Mhmmmm - RUSTY.....
img8771.jpg

most of these sye kits come with that seal already installed. What brand is the kit?
It is a Crown kit, I got through Tom.
My sister is picking up a stack of U Joints tomorrow from him and a new seal.

I'm not so concerned with the t case drip as I am the Trans. I talked to the transmission shop yesterday, they want me to reseal the torx bolt that's leaking, clean it up and put the tcase in neutral (not leaving it too long as the pump wont be pumping) and run the transmission for about 5 minutes with it in gear, and the skid removed to better identify the leaks. I'm betting the rear seal on the trans is bad/damaged.

Tripp I appreciate ppl who like photography when I'm on a forum for how good their pictures always are.
What good is a photo if you cant see anything. Thanks

Tonight, I pulled the skid to get a better look at the oil leak, It is deffinaly leaking from the rear of the Trans between the Trans and Tcase.

Cleaned Up and running for 5-10m with tcase in neutral and trans in 4th at idle.

img9060.jpg
img9061.jpg
img9072.jpg
img9076.jpg
img9079.jpg