AX-15 - Rebuild Time?

Anybody got a spare (good) AX15 they wanna part with? Or know someone that would rebuild one reasonably? Im gonna do a clutch etc and think i wanna go ahead and put a different trans in while i have it down.

Redline mt90 is the suggested fluid to run in it. Regular gear oil will wear out the brass syncros.
Are you referring to GL-5? I run into the same issue with my rover, GL-5 tears up the brass bits in the transmission.

NAPA sells GL-4 and usually has it on hand. I think its like, $25 for a gallon. Still crap expensive but alright. Comes in a big jug. Add a pump and you are good to go.

On the oil subject, I currently have Amsoil in my transmission, transfer case, and overdrive. Its still noisy, hot, and shifts like crap even for a new transmission. Oh well.

No I never changed the Oil, But I'm fairly certain my problem is the clutch.OR a combination of EVERYthing falling apart.

I just don't wanna do a "clutch job" twice, So if i could come across a Good or Rebuildable Transmission id just swap it out while i had it all apart.

I've done too dang many clutch jobs only to have to do it again the next week. (Missing Speedo Gear in a T5 Mustang Trans and Shitty Throw out bearing in another mustang) So Taking something apart twice really annoys me. If nothing comes up ill pull it down and do a clutch job just to see.

Along those lines, I've never pulled a Jeep Trans, Id assume the top two bolts in the bell housing are a bitch to get to as usual?

No I never changed the Oil, But I'm fairly certain my problem is the clutch.OR a combination of EVERYthing falling apart.

I just don't wanna do a "clutch job" twice, So if i could come across a Good or Rebuildable Transmission id just swap it out while i had it all apart.

I've done too dang many clutch jobs only to have to do it again the next week. (Missing Speedo Gear in a T5 Mustang Trans and Shitty Throw out bearing in another mustang) So Taking something apart twice really annoys me. If nothing comes up ill pull it down and do a clutch job just to see.

Along those lines, I've never pulled a Jeep Trans, Id assume the top two bolts in the bell housing are a bitch to get to as usual?
install a body lift first, its easier haha.

but from my memory there is one bolt at the top that was a 12 point that was a little hard to get to, but other than that it was pretty straight forward. My suggestion, have a tranny jack, we did it by just bench pressing the trans into position and it was a bear.

I won't work on a trans or t-case w/o a transmission jack anymore. I like to killed myself doing the trans and dual cases in my 4runner and next time I saw a transmission jack on sale I bought it.

what do you think i'm going to drop off to Dan at the meeting haha? I did have another spare, but it got left in clemson in eleventybillion pieces from where a guy said he would rebuild it for me and couldnt.
So, idea...

Brook's drops off his spare. You install his spare. You give Brooks yours to be rebuilt. No downtime.

So, idea...

Brook's drops off his spare. You install his spare. You give Brooks yours to be rebuilt. No downtime.
I'm a lazy bastard, with no free time. I have unrestricted access to a lift and a transmission jack.... Its not really about the downtime either. Jeeps a 3rd Vehicle.

Guess me and Mr Brooks need to have a little conversation.

Pulled the Trans Last Night / Today .. Side bar -Whatever Stupid *** engineer decided it was a good idea to use that Reverse torx bit on the top two bolts should be stoned to death with them. I ended up rounding off the passenger side bolt (but not apparently before breaking it loose, it came out by had after i had the trans down) and had to cut the head off. Pulled the trans and clutch down, Clutch actually looks good. Trans makes all sorts of nasty noises when you spin it by hand, as well as has some funky looking oil in it. Looks like muddy water mixed with an oil spill. So now to my question.

Cheapest Price/place on a Remanufactured AX15 with Warranty .... Go...
Im not gonna risk rebuilding mine for it to grenade on me next month...
Also, I assume Carolina Driveline is still the best place for a "Forum member" to get a SYE Might as well do that while i have it all down?

img2015013.jpg

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yeah Tom will treat you right for sye and driveshaft. Should go ahead and put a 44 or 8.8 in there too since you'll be getting a custom shaft anyway ;).