AX-15 - Rebuild Time?

So, Driving today something felt weird as i shifted into 3rd gear, no real feel of engagement but it did engage, Down to 4th, it was really tough to shift. It was even more difficult to shift out of 4th. But no real noticeable change shifting into 5th or between 1 - 2. I see that the 3-4th gear share a common shaft and syncros. I also did a shift test with the transfer case in neutral, everything shifted pretty smoothly, more of the reason to think synchronizers.

Does this weird behavior sound like shot syncors? The trans has 120k miles on it.

Next Question- Rebuilds, Rebuilds Kits. Looks like a pretty well documented and easy rebuild, anyone done it? Tips? What parts should i use? There are a couple different flebay rebuild kits, any trouble with cheapo bearings? There seems to be a ~$150 kit and a ~230 kit. Any advise?

While i have it all down i might as well put a clutch in it. I made the mistake of buying advance auto cheapo clutch once upon a time, not going to make that mistake again, thinking Centerforce. Any Advise?

I rebuilt my ax5 last year. The transmission grinded up and down every gear. I pulled it and found the synchros were gummed up by old oil. They would not spin easily on the gear. The gear had no wear at all. The ax15 is a larger version of the ax5. I am going to build Brooks' if he will every get off his butt and get it to me. Hahahahhaha.

I rebuilt my ax5 last year. The transmission grinded up and down every gear. I pulled it and found the synchros were gummed up by old oil. They would not spin easily on the gear. The gear had no wear at all. The ax15 is a larger version of the ax5. I am going to build Brooks' if he will every get off his butt and get it to me. Hahahahhaha.
Ill buy the beer, practice on brooks, then do mine. :grin:

I am just bullying you to get that motor swap done. Rebuilt tranny, motor that doesnt knock.. Brooks will be a happy traveling man hahahaha

Say no to center force for a jeep. Go with a luk brand
It would appear that luk is a CHEAP O clutch???

$150 and i can get a luk clutch AND flywheel.

Also watched a youtube video of a partial tear down.. damn its a lot of parts in a transmission...

Last edited:
It would appear that luk is a CHEAP O clutch???

$150 and i can get a luk clutch AND flywheel.

Also watched a youtube video of a partial tear down.. damn its a lot of parts in a transmission...
Luk is the factory clutch in Jeep TJs. Last time I checked the luck clutchs were around $100 without the flywheel.

So, Driving today something felt weird as i shifted into 3rd gear, no real feel of engagement but it did engage, Down to 4th, it was really tough to shift. It was even more difficult to shift out of 4th. But no real noticeable change shifting into 5th or between 1 - 2. I see that the 3-4th gear share a common shaft and syncros. I also did a shift test with the transfer case in neutral, everything shifted pretty smoothly, more of the reason to think synchronizers.

Does this weird behavior sound like shot syncors? The trans has 120k miles on it.

Next Question- Rebuilds, Rebuilds Kits. Looks like a pretty well documented and easy rebuild, anyone done it? Tips? What parts should i use? There are a couple different flebay rebuild kits, any trouble with cheapo bearings? There seems to be a ~$150 kit and a ~230 kit. Any advise?

While i have it all down i might as well put a clutch in it. I made the mistake of buying advance auto cheapo clutch once upon a time, not going to make that mistake again, thinking Centerforce. Any Advise?
Is this the first time it has done this and was it first thing this morning when it was cold? Do you normally drive the jeep in the mornings when its cold outside? Did it get better the longer you drove it or continue to shift hard through out the entire drive?

Do you need a flywheel? Usually you just get the flywheel resurfaced and you are good to go, unless flywheel is cracked or the ring gear is bad (not sure if the ring gear is repalceable in newer jeeps, old jeeps they come off the flywheel.)

Do you need a flywheel? Usually you just get the flywheel resurfaced and you are good to go, unless flywheel is cracked or the ring gear is bad (not sure if the ring gear is repalceable in newer jeeps, old jeeps they come off the flywheel.)
the flywheel surface is supposedly not flat and cannot be resurfaced. But I have talked to people who have done it.

For $50 it would be nice to have the new flywheel on hand and just put it on rather than have to take it somewhere to get surfaced, pay them, wait for it, blah blah blah

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
For $50 it would be nice to have the new flywheel on hand and just put it on rather than have to take it somewhere to get surfaced, pay them, wait for it, blah blah blah
And it would probably cost $40 to resurface it... it's like rotors, why pay $20 each to be machined when you can get new ones for $25.

Is this the first time it has done this and was it first thing this morning when it was cold? Do you normally drive the jeep in the mornings when its cold outside? Did it get better the longer you drove it or continue to shift hard through out the entire drive?
It started after lunch yesterday (air temp 75) and i had driven ~ 5-10 miles, started randomly, not progressively. Drove it home ~30Miles (15 miles or so at 80-85mph) , No change when i got it home. Pulled the transfer case in neural, shifted pretty good (with/without) clutch.

Ok Little update, Jumped in it this morning, havent driven it since Wednesday. Shifted Flawlessly. Drove around town suddenly , same weird stiff shifting, only this time it was 2nd gear and 3/4th are fine. I think i need to drain the oil (if there is any in it) and see what it looks like. Whats the best oil to put back in it? Ive never looked at the Trans close i also assume it has drain and fill plugs?

I believe it calls for gear oil. I run Lucas 75/140 synthetic with Lucas oil stabilizer but I used to just run cheapo gear oil before rebuilding mine. I also added the Lucas Oil stabilizer in my case. Unreal how much it quieted down things. Especially in 4 low. I don't know which was noisy, my case or my tranny but it's silent now. When I burned up my AX15, you could smell it and hear it. I think yours is fine. It could even just be the boots interfering. Prob need a new transmission mount.