Vehicle for daily use and occasional towing

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Two questions:

1) If someone where looking for a midsize truck for DD use that could still tow occasionally (Samurai on an aluminum trailer perhaps... 5,000 lbs), what would you recommend? Colorado, Frontier, Tacoma? How do you think these vehicles would handle that load to Harlan or Windrock?

2) Anyone have experience towing with Suburban/Tahoe? How does a 5.3 Suburban do with that kind of load?

Two questions:

1) If someone where looking for a midsize truck for DD use that could still tow occasionally (Samurai on an aluminum trailer perhaps... 5,000 lbs), what would you recommend? Colorado, Frontier, Tacoma? How do you think these vehicles would handle that load to Harlan or Windrock?

2) Anyone have experience towing with Suburban/Tahoe? How does a 5.3 Suburban do with that kind of load?
I have the perfect cheap Tacoma for you to purchase. lol

You will NEVER tow **** with one of those little trucks. They are gutless when loaded down.

The Burb should do fine. It won't like the hills, but it will get it there.

The only midsize truck with any balls is a 5.3 Rado or a frontier. The frontiers have a ton of power and the cheapest. They will give a late 90s early 00's halfton a run for their money pulling. However they will do it getting the same mileage, riding worse, and having less room.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I started looking for 5.3 Colorados, but only being 2009+ they're still too much $. I could get a Silverado cheaper.

Tripp's dad went from an early 2000s F150 to a Frontier and loves it. He tows a Mustang on a Featherlite occasionally.

I would just buy a half ton and roll. The difference in gas mileage isn't enough to make a difference. I got 17.1 in my f150 driving to florida yesterday and that was in a **** ton of stop and go on the interstate.

Not to mention I think frontiers are hideous.

My 04 X-Cab Z71 got 16-17 MPG avg. with 305's on it. It got closer to 18-19 stock. Those trucks pull pretty well. Just don't hold the weight that great.

I honestly had no complaints towing my jeep on Joe's trailer to golden mountain last weekend. 4 or 5 four mile long hills at 6 degree or higher incline. Yeah it drops a gear and may loose some speed but it really wasn't bad at all, averaging 9.5 mpg.

Also the samurai on a feather light would be significantly lighter and would do even better.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Dad's truck is an 04 with heavy tow package, 3.73 gear, heavy springs, and he got it cheap. If I found a deal like that I'd be temped.

Insurance is due on everything in February, so for now just tossing around ideas. But, insurance, taxes, and maintenance on 4 vehicles sucks, plus a couple more that aren't tagged.

We used to have a 99 Nissan pathfinder with an auto and V6. We towed the CJ on a trailer from South Florida to Tellico. Now this was a one and done thing but i was surprised about the Pathfinder doing it. I did put a brake controller on it and it worked nice. We missed spur 60 going up and took normal 60 and it was some crazy grades but it did it. Would i do it again? If i wasnt driving 10-12 hours and the grades were only a portion, i would do it once a year. Other than that i think the pathfinder would weat out pretty quickly. Only had one time where it went squirrely on us, but then again the wife was driving at the time and i woke up to the truck shaking bad, but she eased off the gas and we rode it out. Lets say i drove the rest of the way back to florida :)

My frontier pulls fine as far as tracking goes but I have had about 5k behind it once w/ NO brake controller & the brakes & power were a little lacking not to mention unloaded w/ bumpers & heavy 33s I get about 16mpg, towing is about 13 if I try really hard, cruising at around 55 I can get 20-21 mpg out of it. I really like the truck & it does everything I want it to well enough but isn't outstanding at any 1 thing. Max towing is 6500 btw so if you get 1 a sami on an aluminum trailer should be well within that. I also like the looks as well or better than a Tacoma & frontiers are cheaper.

Z71 1500 and be done with it. Anything else and you'll be searching for more. Room for 4+ with gear, pull your Sami or LJ around and still easily drive to work everyday. There's a reason why you see so many of them on the road.

The 05 and up frontiers are the power ones. They get half ton mileage though. Sell the Beamer and get a cheaper car, sell the Sami and put the LJ on 35s and keep the dmax. Or just drive lj everywhere to trail.