Vehicle for daily use and occasional towing

Or sell everything and get a jk. Wheeling with a warranty is Tities. I spit a u joint cap on mine today or Sunday. Goes friday for a new shaft under warranty.

Watching this thread.
I also have a 09 Dmax 4door that sits unless it is towing. I have a 2wd reg cab gas 2500 service truck and the 2500 diesel 4wd. The gas truck is super easy and efficient for daily driving and has excessive tool storage. The diesel truck tows good but sucks for daily driving due to size and weight. Plus everything is more expensive on the diesel. The gas truck does 40k miles per year. The diesel gets about 5k miles per year.
I'm trying to talk myself into getting rid of both trucks and buying a diesel 2wd extended cab service truck. My primary concern is the loss of 4wd. My secondary concern is losing the diesel power plant.
My reasons are basically the same. Upkeep and expenses on two trucks is too expensive. Only use 4wd on rare occasions. I only need the diesel when towing a couple thousand miles each year.

Has anyone else tried going from diesel to gas in a 2500 or up series truck? How did it work out?
Has anyone tried going from a 4wd daily driver to a 2wd daily driver? Especially in a construction type job. How did it work out?

What is the perfect DD / Tow Rig?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I will never tow with a 2wd. Rarely need it, but when you need it you need it... Harlan in the snow, Gulches when it rains, Durhamtown Tellico parking lot, 33 when you get your rig stuck and use the tow rig to recover...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The 05 and up frontiers are the power ones. They get half ton mileage though. Sell the Beamer and get a cheaper car, sell the Sami and put the LJ on 35s and keep the dmax. Or just drive lj everywhere to trail.
Been down that road before. The Sami is just too much fun, and I'll do things with it I wouldn't with the jeep on 35s.

I will never tow with a 2wd. Rarely need it, but when you need it you need it... Harlan in the snow, Gulches when it rains, Durhamtown Tellico parking lot, 33 when you get your rig stuck and use the tow rig to recover...
I agree and that is my main concern. Last weekend at Windrock 4wd was needed just to reach the cabin on the steep gravel drive.

I will be running a warn powerplant on the front. Not sure if this will overcome the need for 4wd. Plus its much easier to switch into 4 hi than pull cable.

Wes

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Was doing maintenance on the Yukon xl today and noticed it has P tires. I guess I would need to look at replacing them with LT if I was going to tow with it much. Also, the hitch is a 5000 lb / 500 lb tongue weight unless used with a weight distributing hitch.

The 05 and up frontiers are the power ones. They get half ton mileage though. Sell the Beamer and get a cheaper car, sell the Sami and put the LJ on 35s and keep the dmax. Or just drive lj everywhere to trail.
Mines an 08 and it moves itself 100x better than the old supercharged 3.3 trucks but drop 5k behind it & it knows itll tow just fine but ull remember that u dont have diesel anymore. Or just 4bt the LJ