House Re-Modeling Issues

Thought I would share this with you guys as it's actually kinda funny.

So, my house is an older house. Has been time to re-do plumbing and wiring as well as some updates for a LONG time. Since I started back working I am finally able to get started on these things. My parents had a guy who did a lot of stuff for them that came and put the windows in. While he was there we talked with him about doing some things in the bathroom while the plumbing was being done.

The house had a REALLY old, REALLY crappy tub enclosure. I wanted to put a tub in that would use a shower curtain and not a shower door. Also, the bathroom had a window as it wasn't always fitted with a shower. I thought it was ridiculous to have that partially covered by the tub enclosure so we decided to leave it open this go round. May not have been the best decision but it seemed like the best option because the only other real option was to close in the window which would require re-siding the house....and if you re sided the back, may as well do the whole thing. Not really trying to spend that kinda money.

Well, me being cheap. He mentioned we could do it with tile board which would look fine and he could make it work for a while. I knew it wouldn't last forever or be like the real thing but I am not looking to build a dream house. Just something that I can be happy with and will function properly.

I came home Wed. night to find this (pics below). Not only were the cuts crap, but he NAILED it to the wall. Which I am actually glad he did. As he also pieced it multiple times for whatever reason... There would obviously have to be a pieced section on the long wall but the back should have been done in one section. Also, the work around the window is all uneven and crap looking. Basically, in a couple hours on a Saturday I could have done a 10X better job myself. Just couldn't coordinate that with everything else.

He did do a good job on everything else, the actual putting the tub in, patching the wall, etc. He also cut out a cabinet to allow for a dishwasher which looks fine. But, in all of this. Knowing I live there and have nowhere else to live (not really) he does this and doesn't finish the bathroom. I have no sink or new toilet (old one works for now) until the flooring is done and sheet rock patch is done. He calls after the SH IT job to say he won't be back for ten days. Well, now he's not coming back at all. Nor am I paying the total bill (which really wasn't bad) but it's the point. There is NO WAY he thought it looked OK or would pass or even last, why even leave it? Just call and say...I messed up, I will fix it when I get back if you will allow me. Instead he said, oh that's how we do it. They are stainless nails so they wont rust. That's the least of the problem...

I am going to quit being cheap and have it tiled up past the window if possible and do away with the molding. Wish I had of been there to see this idea go down. WOW.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Seems about par... if you want house stories I have house stories for days.

We subcontracted all the work on our house ourselves after rough in. They framed the staircase from the main floor to basement the wrong way and didnt realize it until they ran into the basement bathroom. Then they just stopped because they didn't know what to do. The head clearance on the stairs is too low but the inspector let it slide. Basement floor is not sloped, inspector let it slide. Master bed room was framed without a door opening, hall just ended into the bedroom. Master shower puddles a foot behind the drain.