Belly Up and Engine skids

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I know there's tons of info on other sites about skids, but I don't remember there being a thread here and a search didn't turn up anything, so...

I'm expecting to have a little more money to throw into the Jeep end of the year or early spring. The last thing I really want to do to it is a belly up skid and engine skid. I already have a Teraflex 1" body lift to go on. My plan now is Brown Dog 1" lift motor mounts and Under Cover Fab's Deep Cover skid system in the Original Extra Clearance model and Aluminum, but I'm open to other options.

Anybody have personal experience with any of the skids on the market? I like the Clayton skid that Greg runs because of the crossmember and skid being separate pieces, but it's a little more expensive and not aluminum.

Just build your own...mine took a lot of abuse and was very simple..I also have a set of Brown dog motor mounts for sale

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Just build your own...mine took a lot of abuse and was very simple..I also have a set of Brown dog motor mounts for sale

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
I don't really have the time to do the design and fabrication right now. I'd much rather just buy something that will bolt on.

I missed your update about the motor mount. Just went back and checked your thread and I'd rather have the 'ultra flex rubber' ones, but may be interested. I'll pm you my # for pictures.

Barnes has those skids but I think it's kinda an addition to fabrication.

Under cover fab seems to make good stuff at a reasonable price.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Barnes has those skids but I think it's kinda an addition to fabrication.

Under cover fab seems to make good stuff at a reasonable price.
Yeah, and I want to keep the weight down. There are a few other aluminum ones out there, Rockmen, Genright, but the UCF one seems to be the most complete.

Is yours a manual? I read you couldn't do the ultra high and lo-pro with 42rle.
Yeah, mine's a manual. The only issue is that the front edge of the transmission skid hits the transmission pan on the auto. You just have to clearance the front edge. I've seen a picture of it, I'll try to find it.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Didn't Greg do the Brown Dog?
I originally had a skidrow engine skid. But I pulled that off and sold it and replaced the stock skid and engine skid with the Clayton system. It's been nice. I agree that the price is a little high. But the engineering on it is great and very easy to install.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
And found a 10% off code to Brown Dog, so mml is on the way too.

I've made the mistake of cheaping out on certain things before and ending up spending more money later to do what I should have done in the first place. I vowed I would not do that with the LJ. Every mod has end goal in mind.

I have the ucf ultra high and lo pro mount. It's good stuff...do a cable shifter while you're at it ...I did the savvy cable shift it's just like the Novak one

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I have the ucf ultra high and lo pro mount. It's good stuff...do a cable shifter while you're at it ...I did the savvy cable shift it's just like the Novak one
I thought about the cable shifter, but I'm going to try it without first. Since I'm only doing the standard pan, not a lo-pro mount, and 1" body lift I should be able to get the factory linkage set up correctly.

It still changes the geometry enough to make it a pain...and if you decide to do it later it'll be an even bigger pain taking installing the shifter when you could have just done it while the plate was already off...my stock shift linkage was never that reliable so it just may have been me. My cable shifter was a necessity

I battled my stock shifter for a decade. Many a trips doing it manually from under the jeep. Get the cable. It's worth every penny.

Marcus yours just wasn't adjusted right. Cable shifter is so smooth, it's the best thing I ever did to my jeep. Never had to fight it and glides in every time

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I just looked up the AA shifter. Is it worth the extra over the Novak one? Novak retains the stock handle and pattern, AA reverses the shift pattern and included a new handle.