Thread: DIY Hardtop Cart

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC

DIY Hardtop Cart

I've been putting off taking the hardtop back off the LJ because I didn't have a good way to store it. So, Tripp and I decided to break out the saws and build a cart. I looked at a few different designs online. We took some ideas from others and then winged it a little, and came up with this:

59" across the back, sides are 30". We stuck 2 pieces of 6" long 2x4 on the ends to keep it from sliding. The back spacer is about 5". The 1x4 across the front holds the window closed. We used tool box drawer liner for the padding, which works very well because it's non-slip, and it has some Harbor Freight cheapo casters.

Last edited by LBarr2002; 09-29-2014 at 09:32 PM.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    How hard is it to turn it up and put it on the rack? Looks like a good idea
    --Brooks

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by 97TJGUZZY View Post
    How hard is it to turn it up and put it on the rack? Looks like a good idea
    The cart has little stoppers on the bottom side, we placed the cart on the back of the top and just stood it straight up.... Shocked it actually worked as well as it did...
    Look at the Word Differently - In a World of Talkers, be a thinker and a doer.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Thats pretty cool. I've always seen those that store them upright position online but never one in person. Always wondered about the physics/weight distribution of it all.

Looks like it worked out great.... And if it doesn't, I'll be here waiting to sell you a LJ safari top..

Larry... should post this up on JeepLJ.net as a fab item.. lots of others would find that useful..

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeplj View Post
    Thats pretty cool. I've always seen those that store them upright position online but never one in person. Always wondered about the physics/weight distribution of it all.

Looks like it worked out great.... And if it doesn't, I'll be here waiting to sell you a LJ safari top..

Larry... should post this up on JeepLJ.net as a fab item.. lots of others would find that useful..
    Thanks Matt. It's actually very stable, a lot more stable than we expected it to be. I'll try to remember to post it over there tonight.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    The idea behind the stand up cart was to be able to hang the doors on the wall and push the cart up around them. The hard doors and 2 piece soft doors fit nicely behind it.

'04 LJ Sleeper