DIY Hardtop Cart

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've been putting off taking the hardtop back off the LJ because I didn't have a good way to store it. So, Tripp and I decided to break out the saws and build a cart. I looked at a few different designs online. We took some ideas from others and then winged it a little, and came up with this:

20140921_134933_zpsldagyvii.jpg

59" across the back, sides are 30". We stuck 2 pieces of 6" long 2x4 on the ends to keep it from sliding. The back spacer is about 5". The 1x4 across the front holds the window closed. We used tool box drawer liner for the padding, which works very well because it's non-slip, and it has some Harbor Freight cheapo casters.

20140921_141604_zpshqfvvwcy.jpg

Last edited:
Thats pretty cool. I've always seen those that store them upright position online but never one in person. Always wondered about the physics/weight distribution of it all.

Looks like it worked out great.... And if it doesn't, I'll be here waiting to sell you a LJ safari top..

Larry... should post this up on JeepLJ.net as a fab item.. lots of others would find that useful..

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Thats pretty cool. I've always seen those that store them upright position online but never one in person. Always wondered about the physics/weight distribution of it all.

Looks like it worked out great.... And if it doesn't, I'll be here waiting to sell you a LJ safari top..

Larry... should post this up on JeepLJ.net as a fab item.. lots of others would find that useful..
Thanks Matt. It's actually very stable, a lot more stable than we expected it to be. I'll try to remember to post it over there tonight.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The idea behind the stand up cart was to be able to hang the doors on the wall and push the cart up around them. The hard doors and 2 piece soft doors fit nicely behind it.

20140927_172439_zpsl6gqo74t.jpg

20140927_174008_zpsbvkgfztw.jpg