Ford Trans

well my trans took a dump on way to Tellico. Who local does a good job, or do I just need to buy a ford reman and stick it in myself?

Call the guy Craig mentioned on FB. He is pretty good from what I understand and is pretty reasonable. Other than that, stay the hell away from Adams and that's the only info I have...lol. Jim's dad has had nothing but problems with his from them. They last about 80K.

Call the guy Craig mentioned on FB. He is pretty good from what I understand and is pretty reasonable. Other than that, stay the hell away from Adams and that's the only info I have...lol. Jim's dad has had nothing but problems with his from them. They last about 80K.
I did my home work on Adams and he was recommended by a few people, used good parts, good converters. Jimbo's dad also hauls a double wide trailer around for a camper. Sometimes you have to look at the Indian not the arrow.

Hard to find many places with more than a year warranty from what I have seen. I'd do a lot of shopping (which I know you will) but I wouldn't rule out an expensive trans off the interwebs if you plan to keep the truck. If your still wanting to sell it I'd prolly just find a good used trans. JMO.

Who ever I go with I need to have a warranty , I only put 5-7k miles on my truck a year now.
It will be a miles/time limit warranty more than likely. X-amount of miles or 6 months/year what ever comes first. I was the same way, I asked how can you give me a time limit if i don't have x-amount of miles. Just another way it releases them from responsibility either way.

It will be a miles/time limit warranty more than likely. X-amount of miles or 6 months/year what ever comes first. I was the same way, I asked how can you give me a time limit if i don't have x-amount of miles. Just another way it releases them from responsibility either way.
Yep. And yep. lol

Did Jim's dad put the good parts in or just do a stock rebuild?
I thought they always claimed to have a high dollar trans but I am not sure. He does pull around a house though like Deano said. He may not be the best example....lol

The guy at Adams was very helpful when I needed some parts for my Jeep trans. He doesn't like to do bench jobs though and I know your gonna want to install.

I did my home work on Adams and he was recommended by a few people, used good parts, good converters. Jimbo's dad also hauls a double wide trailer around for a camper. Sometimes you have to look at the Indian not the arrow.
Nail on head.....Dad is VERY hard on a trans. He doesnt always pull 18k pounds but when he does he floor it everywhere! They did a fairly decent build this time with a triple disc converter and I know it has a very good feel. His first built trans only cost something in the nieghborhood of 2300-2500, and lasted through 8 years of abuse. The big daddy transmissions are 5k and up without installation. He figures if he gets another 8 it will be the lifespan of the truck.

Yeah. And this one they built up more. My theory is that for 2500ish dollars the first one wasnt very modded over stock. Probably a valvebody kit and a better converter. It still did better than the factory trans. It only lasted about that long with a much lighter camper. Then the oil pump failed on the new factory trans. They fixed that, then the trans failed again not too long after. Did the one from adams and it lasted 80k. He has about an 80-90k trans interval in that truck. The new one should do better. That poor truck has done a lot of hard work and the trans has been the ONLY weak point factory wise. Two gear vendor units have taken a dump as well.

The only complain I have with Adams is that he fugged up the wiring for the banks trans command and gear vendor when we had the last trans put in. In his defense there is a lot of not factory stuff going on on that truck.

I forgot most of his issues were with that stupid gear vendor ****. I retract statement on Adams. lol. Like I said he was super helpful when I talked to him.