Coolant Additives, for real or snake oil?

So my truck is running hot (BTW, coolant system is new/rebuilt and engine is working properly, not running lean, timing is good, no head gasket leak) and I'm wondering if any of those coolant fluid additives actually work. I kinda doubt they do but I thought I'd investigate the cheap/easy before looking at electric fans or a Griffin radiator or something big $$$ like that.

Thanks!

I used to use Redline Waterwetter when I roadraced motorcycles. It worked almost too good in my ZX-6R. Enough I had to tape off the radiator to get the temp just right for my fuel/air mixture. That might be a band-aid but if it's running hot there's a problem somewhere, you just haven't pinpointed it yet.

Kinda thinking I'm flirting with the upper limit of the system. Only time I have a problem is when I'm hauling butt on the interstate. Back off the throttle and temps start going down. No issues in stop n' go or off road (which if I had a problem with my cooling system, I figure it would show up there). Also in the mornings and late in the evenings when ambient temp goes down, I don't have any trouble.

While the obvious answer is to reduce my speed, I do live in ATL and keeping with the flow of traffic is preferred so I don't get run off the road.

Man when I say it like that, a custom Griffin Radiator sounds appealing all of a sudden!

My XJ did the exact same thing. The radiator was the root of the problem. Once it was replaced it, problem solved. Now it runs a bit on the cool side which I believe is due to a partially stuck open t-stat.

when did this start, have you made any changes to the motor? It didnt used to overheat. Sounds like there is a problem somewhere and I think the additive is a bandaid.

Indeed. Started when I knocked another .010 off the cylinder head and adjusted the valves to take advantage of the hot-ish cam.

Sum bitch scoots now.

Yeah, additive is probably a band aid for a radiator that probably should've been thrown in the trash but I'm not ready for another round of bank account exploding. Would like to get AT LEAST 3 months out of it before I gotta throw more money at it.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can track down a bolt-in upgrade. Probably can't but but I might get lucky.

This is a problem that happens a lot with Cherokees. Do you have a clutch fan shroud? I've found that without one the clutch fan is useless since the air being pulled through the fan is coming from around the radiator instead of through it.

Something I've learned the hard way, and especially when it has to do with a cooling system is that if it came with it from the factory, it NEEDS to be there.

Last edited:
I do have a fan shroud in place and my fan is directly bolted to the pulley. Super simple. See no reason for an electrical fan. Also said fan is the military 8 bladed fan. I suspect it pulls a decent amount of air.

So I talked to some others and apparently the earlier trucks have a 5 core radiator while mine has a 3 core radiator....what the crap. I figure a new 5 core will fix this problem mighty quick.

i did that taurus fan and i gotta say it cools the jeep down quick and keeps it there
Did you pull the fan and shroud? or just the fan....what else is needed to do the mod? I need to go to the pick n pull, and might grab one.....any idea what size tools you need so I dont have to carry the arsenal?