#Jkproblems

Cant let Dean-o's build thread count exceed mine....

After being a fairly dedicated cruiser guy and "Jimbolizing" my fair share of vehicles...I decided to try and reduce the fleet to 1 vehicle. This is mainly because I live in an apartment again in Greenville and don't have anywhere to put stuff. I sold the Lexus, the FJ40, and my atv and scoopted me a 2011 JK Unlimited Sport. It had most goodies such as Infinity sound, steering wheel controls, power windows/locks/mirrors, 3:73 anti spin rear, and a 6 speed hand shaker.

This is the closest picture I have to stock. I installed a 2.5 inch rough country with their "upgraded shocks", wheel spacers, and sway bar discos. The ride quality is fine, I like the coils, The swaybars are kind of a pain but they have a fancy clip to hold them when unhooked, the spacers kept me from having to get aftermarket wheels and look "Bro", but the shocks are terrible. The ride quality isn't terrible with them and I like the larger shaft with the bumpstop, but they leak like crazy. I am on my 2nd set in 10k miles. At least their warranty is top notch. I installed a set of 315/70r17 BFG AT KOs with the S speed rating. These are tires co-developed by SVT and BFG for the Raptor. They have a different compound, different belts/carcass, and different siping. So far I have been very happy with them. They grab well on rock and ride great on the road in all conditions.

Jeep 1.jpg

I took the Jeep to Exit 33 the first weekend I had it and found the traction control to be much more effective then anticipated. It did great but the ruining boards were ruined in quick fashion.

Jeep 2.jpg

I then installed some factory rubi sliders for Uwharrie. These sliders are very tough and have taken a beating. I do wish they stuck out more however. I tried to pivot on one and fell of the rock and crunched my door openings pretty good.

Jeep 3.jpg

After Uwharrie I came across a smoking deal on an xd9000i with synthetic rope, and of course I had to run an ARB because I always do. And most JK bumpers along with most JKs are ugly IMO.

Jeep 4.jpg
Overall I have enjoyed the JK. It is a fairly solid platform. It drives good, its pretty quiet, and returns respectable mileage.
The hill start assist is titties offroad and makes having a manual 100 million times nicer. First manual I've wheeled with fuel injection as well so that's cool. The dana 30 is fairly poop. It needs upgraded shafts (although the one replaced under warranty is physically different than the original so it may be better) and Synergy balljoints are on the list.

The OE steering is much better than OE TJ equipment so that's a plus. Also it runs a mid armed suspension with square tube control arms rather than stamped steal so that's nice. If I had a choice between this and a locked 80 series cruiser for offroad I would choose the cruiser for its bulletproofness. However the Jeep is much more pleasant to drive, its much better on fuel, the top comes off, its a manual, and the bitchez like it. I know people hate on 4 door Jeeps but lets face it, the wheel base is awesome and it makes having a Jeep as your only vehicle much more pleasant. And I can sleep in it.

Jeep 5.jpg

Last edited:
Nice build Jimbo...I also found the Traction control system to be decent for braking on the front axle. I have 4.10s LSD and find it adequate for lockup with minimal slip. I took mine out to Jocassee Gorges trails and crawled up the river and shot plenty of rooster tails on the 12 miles out. It was a limousine ride. I'll be adding Ranchos 9000 shocks which most JK owners have said make it ride like a cadillac. We will see. It's already been down to Edisto once with another trip this summer.

I'll have to look into those shocks. Mine rides ok but compared to my Lexus it's pile o junk. The Lexus was just so tight chassis wise and interior fit and finish. It also had expensive a$$ old man emu stuff. Get the ranhos and let me know how they do.

Not a huge fan of the ranchos. Look at the fox ifp shocks. We install them all the time with no complaints.
I've heard a lot about the Fox IFP, but aren't they a bit expensive? Considering the JKU valved Rancho 9000XL are adjustable, it seems to be the common mans shock for dialing it large JKU platforms for plush rides and a solid towing setup on the end. I'd certainly be interested in other shocks, but I'm going to give the 9000XL a chance since people say they suck on trucks, but work like butter on JKs.

Well time for jeep time for summer. Want it all cleaned up as shiny again now that wheeling season and pollen are coming to an end. My rims are absolutely destroyed so I figured I would try the plasti dip route. Thy even have a gloss that gives them a shine like a semigloss wheel. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399241730.662166.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399241750.336609.jpg let's see how it turns out....

I thought of doing them in a gunmetal. The reason I leaned the Plastidip route was because I figured it would fill in imperfections and scratches better. It doesn't do as well as you would think. It also doesn't lay down on edges very well. I can definitely see this stuff getting blown off in the carwash. Jk sport/x wheels are so darn cheap I may just scoop another set.

I thought of doing them in a gunmetal. The reason I leaned the Plastidip route was because I figured it would fill in imperfections and scratches better. It doesn't do as well as you would think. It also doesn't lay down on edges very well. I can definitely see this stuff getting blown off in the carwash. Jk sport/x wheels are so darn cheap I may just scoop another set.
why are you trying to hide the #lifeexperiences