The First Samurai

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yeah, I lost a spring down by the creek. The bump stops are as much spring retainers as they are bump stops right now.

I'm thinking about either doing a center limit strap or maybe a suck down winch.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Finally did some maintenance tonight. First time I've touched drivetrain except for checking the oil since the engine went in I think... Changed plugs and wires, plug gaps were way wrong and plugs were pretty bad. Also changed the clutch cable. I couldn't see any real problem with the one that was on it, but the clutch would slip when I shifted hard. Feels much better now so the cable must have just been sticky. Ready to beat on it a little tomorrow, then clean it up, check fluids and park it until Harlan.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
OSCAR 2 was rough on the Sami. It worked great, but had some issues this trip.

Copied this over from the OSCAR recap thread:
Broke both motor mounts on whitetail.

IMAG0134_zpsdf9b393b.jpg
IMAG0135_zps1dfdf52b.jpg

trip to Larry's ATV Welding.
IMAG0138_zps5852031e.jpg

Gooseneck for engine hoist
IMAG0136_zps397791b4.jpg

I noticed the engine mounts when I was underneath it because my rear driveshaft was about to fall out. I also broke my winch cable on Upper Rock Garden, bent the right side at the door hinges and had to beat the door back on, and bent the left side on whitetail.

Good news is it made me go ahead and get synthetic rope, so I'll be working on that this week.

I just sent an email off to the company that makes the engine mounts and we'll see how that goes...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I finally got around to putting the synthetic rope on the winch.

Cleaned up, sanded, and painted the drum:
IMAG0173_zpsa46ad5b9.jpg

Cut out the old solid stock I was using for a fairlead and welded in plates to mount the hause fairlead too:
IMAG0174_zpsdfebfd53.jpg

IMAG0175_zps92e6a822.jpg

IMAG0176_zps4f64cdb9.jpg

I'm still rocking the patched motor mounts from Harlan. I got the run around from the company I ordered them from and the company that made them. I'm going to try again but it's looking like I might have to buy or build some stronger ones.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
At Gulches yesterday, I broke 2 of the 3 high steer arm bolts .

IMAG0178_zps95159b42.jpg

IMAG0179_zpsd6f3e418.jpg

I got really lucky and was able to weld nuts to what was left and get the bolts out. Now I just need to get another conical washer and some bolts, and lots of locktite.

IMAG0180_zpse88c6c90.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
About a month ago I listed this for sale. I listed it for a rather ambitious price, because I don't need to sell it, but if somebody really wanted it I wouldn't mind selling it. Well, I've decided to take Marcus' advice and keep it.

beat it like it owes you money!!
So, I picked up a few spare parts tonight:

IMAG0361_zpsgb7n35w2.jpg

They both run, but one knocks and one won't hold timing. For the price I couldn't pass them up for parts or for a core if anything happens to mine.

Now the only drivetrain parts I don't have spares of are ring and pinions and short side rear shaft. I made a deal with a guy for another set of rear shafts, but I have to get to Greensboro at some point to get them.

I should also be getting some new rubber for it before Harlan. The Xterrains still have half tread, but they just don't bite in mud.

About a month ago I listed this for sale. I listed it for a rather ambitious price, because I don't need to sell it, but if somebody really wanted it I wouldn't mind selling it. Well, I've decided to take Marcus' advice and keep it.

So, I picked up a few spare parts tonight:

IMAG0361_zpsgb7n35w2.jpg

They both run, but one knocks and one won't hold timing. For the price I couldn't pass them up for parts or for a core if anything happens to mine.

Now the only drivetrain parts I don't have spares of are ring and pinions and short side rear shaft. I made a deal with a guy for another set of rear shafts, but I have to get to Greensboro at some point to get them.

I should also be getting some new rubber for it before Harlan. The Xterrains still have half tread, but they just don't bite in mud.

good choice

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
IMAG0373_zps722fbakn.jpg

One down... I forgot how much that sucked. Any tips on breaking the back bead? I had to resort to the hi-lift under the back bumper of the truck to break the bead. Also, I didn't get this one centered perfectly...