The First Samurai

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Since I was sick and stayed home today, I did get a little progress with the sami. I got the fuel cell mount made so I can make some more room under the back :).

IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Last weekend Brooks, Cole, Tripp, and Greg came over and helped 4-link the Samurai. I can't thank you guys enough.

Friday after lunch Brooks and I got started with the teardown.
Before:
IMAG0312.jpg

Deconstruction over:
IMAG0316.jpg

Friday evening Tripp and Cole came over, we ate Mexican, then got back to work:
Bling truss:
IMAG0317.jpg

Tacked in:
IMAG0319.jpg

Saturday afternoon, Tripp cooked up some awesome steaks and Burgundy, Andrea, and Stacey made mashed potatoes, beans, maccaroni and cheese, cornbread.... We were stuffed, but back to work.

hmmmm.... clearance issue:
IMAG0320.jpg

flex test before cutting:
IMAG0321.jpg

precision fender cutting:
IMAG0325.jpg

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Parts list for the build:

Blue Torch Fab Dana44 truss kit (with some added plate since my axle is offset)
Artec dual 4-link brackets
Artec lower axle mounts
4 Currie 1 1/4" shank Johnnys
4 Currie 1" shank Johnnys
inserts/jam nuts from Barnes 4wd
4th gen Camaro V6 rear springs

I grabbed these from Greg's and Brooks' posts in another thread:

A couple of the trim job outlined on the fender.

Larry cutting one side.

And one of Brooks working hard.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I still have to get my exhaust re-routed, have Tom make a new rear driveshaft, install some bump stops, and redo some brake lines, but I'm very happy with it and ready to try it out :).

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Since I redid the front suspension and moved it forward, the front shocks have been leaned forward to the point that the top bushings were binding (see pic in post #12). I fixed that today with a set of Artec's high clearance shock brackets.

https://artecindustries.3dcartstores.com/High-Clearance-Shock-Brackets-pair_p_290.html

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

This gave me 3" more uptravel, so I moved the 12" shocks from the rear to the front (originally had 10"s in the front).
Without shocks on the back, it flexes really well :).

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0382.jpg

IMAG0381.jpg

Going to have to think about how to fix this...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Not enough room between the hoop and the wheel wells. I've got to get those shocks tomorrow and play around with ideas. I'm thinking either cut the hoops off and lay them back against the tub or use ford shock towers if the remote res shock will fit in it. What you doing next weekend? :)

Not enough room between the hoop and the wheel wells. I've got to get those shocks tomorrow and play around with ideas. I'm thinking either cut the hoops off and lay them back against the tub or use ford shock towers if the remote res shock will fit in it. What you doing next weekend? :)
I'll be in wilmington for our anniversary

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yeah, I thought that was this weekend. I'll have to make something work before the Gulches charity event and I can't put it back the way it was because I already cut off the old front tabs...

Have yall heard that the Ford towers were discontinued? Bubba said he had to get his shipped from Cali. Anyway, I can't guarentee that to be true but I know the dealer here can't get them.

Have yall heard that the Ford towers were discontinued? Bubba said he had to get his shipped from Cali. Anyway, I can't guarentee that to be true but I know the dealer here can't get them.
Sam Frick had got some just a little over a month ago when we outboarded his rear shocks. i know he had the exact part number though, the dealer may had just been lazy?? who knows

and larry could you just do spacers? or do you not wanna do that?

There's a website I have saved that has them for sale out of Cali or Texas I can't remember I got from a toyota forum.

I've got 2 sets both been given to me :flipoff2: