The First Samurai

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
i always used soap and set the wheel on a 5 gal bucket and it usually center perfect
I think that was my issue. I had the wheel sitting on a piece of 4x6 post, so the tire was touching it in two places and hanging the rest of the way around. I may take the ring back off and try the bucket.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
We used the tire machine to hold the rim when we did Chase's. All 5 of them torqued 4 or 5 times...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
If I had a tire machine the first part of this process would be easy :). By the way, since you complained about my dirty scratched wheels, when I take them off you want to get the rings powder coated in red or some bling color for me? :flipoff2:

The bucket works well. That, an impact, and one other person makes life easy. Me and Jay did my ones on the buggy in 30 minutes I think.

Why not just run the tires/wheels by a store and have them break them down for you. Running them over you may end up breaking a valve stem off. That happened to Jays tires/wheels on his cab truck. And using a hi lift is sketchy. I always take mine by Barrett's and they will charge me like $5 to knock them off the bead and remove them.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I used a 4x4 and a bottle jack under the rock slider. Slow, but worked well. I'm sure everyone else knows this, but lesson learned for me, removing the valve core makes it a lot easier.

For some reason, I didn't have any issue centering mine. I think the Trailready has a lip on the front. I remember it just seating right in. I don't think I could have gotten it wrong. But that was a couple years ago. Not sure if I remember that correctly. Maybe I just got lucky.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The soap and bucket did the trick for centering. I got the other rear done, then went back and centered the one I did last night. But then I broke two bolts with my torque wrench set on 20 lb ft... how the *****?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
While at Harlan, we noticed the heims in the steering were shot. New Ruff Stuff heims are on the way, then ball joints will be next.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Almost a year since the last update... Poor Samurai gets neglected.

Just before OSCAR last year I rushed to install a windshield fold down and quick removal kit from Roadless Gear (http://www.roadlessgear.com/Suzuki/p/1854/folddown-windshield-kit). I don't have a good picture of the kit, but here's what it looks like removed:

IMG_784632728067_zpsxrleeefh.jpg

At Harlan last year, this happened:
IMG950128_zpsi2tmxzrt.jpg

But the only damage was this and the top:
IMAG0397_zpsk8yjcfjs.jpg

Any time there's the slightest bit of mud on the trail you get coated when your tires are completely outside the body. So, before this trip I decided to make some half doors. I did some trading for a set of rough doors a while back. I chopped them off to match the profile of the tub and mimic a jeep half door. Then I capped the top with some bent sheet metal pop riveted on. It came out better than expected for very little time and about $10 in the project... Only finished one side so far though...

20150328_164135_zpseumijkyj.jpg

20150419_203713_zps2thxa7av.jpg

20150419_203728_zps2oqsfpvo.jpg

20150419_205834_zpse9jx6b1g.jpg

Almost a year since the last update... Poor Samurai gets neglected.

Just before OSCAR last year I rushed to install a windshield fold down and quick removal kit from Roadless Gear (http://www.roadlessgear.com/Suzuki/p/1854/folddown-windshield-kit). I don't have a good picture of the kit, but here's what it looks like removed:

IMG_784632728067_zpsxrleeefh.jpg

At Harlan last year, this happened:
IMG950128_zpsi2tmxzrt.jpg

But the only damage was this and the top:
IMAG0397_zpsk8yjcfjs.jpg

Any time there's the slightest bit of mud on the trail you get coated when your tires are completely outside the body. So, before this trip I decided to make some half doors. I did some trading for a set of rough doors a while back. I chopped them off to match the profile of the tub and mimic a jeep half door. Then I capped the top with some bent sheet metal pop riveted on. It came out better than expected for very little time and about $10 in the project... Only finished one side so far though...

20150328_164135_zpseumijkyj.jpg

20150419_203713_zps2thxa7av.jpg

20150419_203728_zps2oqsfpvo.jpg

20150419_205834_zpse9jx6b1g.jpg
turned out good!