BMW E30 coupe race car project

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
This is your opportunity to own the ultimate driving machine at an incredibly low price!

IMAG0282_zps000dadd0.jpg

IMAG0280_zps5774474e.jpg

IMAG0281_zps7ea67f86.jpg

You might be wondering why it has no glass, or why the instrument cluster is held in with bungee cords? Why? Because RACECAR!

But seriously, it was a race car project that never happened.

Two friends and I bought this car with intentions of running the 24 Hours of Lemons at Carolina Motorsports Park. It's a series that tours the country running endurance races in $500 cars. Car and any mods must not exceed $500. This does not included safety equipment, which includes cage, seats, brakes, tires, etc. The car was a decent DD bought from a USC college student. It is an '85 or '86 (one of the other guys has the title so I will check it) 325E automatic. We stripped it and had the cage professionally done. It meets SCCA General Competition Rules. It had a blown head gasket when we got it, so one of the team members and a BMW mechanic fixed that. Shortly after, life happened for the other two guys, and now with me having a baby on the way, we're just trying to get some of our money back out of it. It will include two aluminum racing seats (one Kirkey and one OvalCraft). They are not mounted (sitting on concrete pavers on the floor) so it's ready to set up to fit your perfectly :D . I think the seats came out of Chris May's first buggy, so that's got to be worth something, right?

It ran fine after the head gasket was replaced. After it sat for a while I think it's down a cylinder, but that could just be a plug or wire. It hasn't been run in a year, but I put cables on it and it fires but doesn't stay running. I feel sure that with some fresh gas it will fire right up. I'll pull it out Sunday, get it running, and get some daylight pictures, but I wanted to get it out there.

So, this is a $300 car with a $900 cage. If sold, the sales price on the title could be 'negotiated' to leave plenty of room to spend a few hundred bucks and be under the $500 for the Lemons race. Or, it's a great starting point to build a track car. Located in Leesville, SC.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I haven't had a chance to pull it out, and it will probably be another week before I have time. I'll take $1000 for it as is, or price will go back to $1200 once I get it running.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Still available, but with all this Rally Cross talk I might have to do something with it... Save me money by buying it first.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
This thing is just too much awesome for me to keep looking at. Seriously people, how do you get rid of something like this? It needs to go.