Old Color Slides from the 1940s

Slide film, Specifically Fuji Velvia, is a very popular film to shoot. "Because its surprisingly rich color palette delivered vibrant hues even under dismal lighting conditions, many pros and advanced amateurs wouldn't think of going on a slide-shooting assignment without it." "With slides, however, what you shot is what you get. Period. The sharpness, the color, the exposure, all of these return to you exactly as you shot them. If they are good, the skill and art you put into them at the time of exposure is preserved; if they are bad, you've no one to blame but yourself."

Those are cool shots. I always wonder how all those B&W images from back then would look in color. I shot color slides in High School for my photography class. Back then, it was easier/cheaper to get high resolution digital image by shooting in color slides and scanning them into the computer with a high res film scanner the classroom had. I didn't have to do any retouching in the computer though, the colors were great. I can post some up if anyone's interested.

Slide film, Specifically Fuji Velvia, is a very popular film to shoot. "Because its surprisingly rich color palette delivered vibrant hues even under dismal lighting conditions, many pros and advanced amateurs wouldn't think of going on a slide-shooting assignment without it." "With slides, however, what you shot is what you get. Period. The sharpness, the color, the exposure, all of these return to you exactly as you shot them. If they are good, the skill and art you put into them at the time of exposure is preserved; if they are bad, you've no one to blame but yourself."
I've always toyed around with the idea of buying some Velvia 50. Never got around to it. Then my friend sold his film scanner and that kinda killed it for me. Also always wanted to get a 8x10 field camera.

All that said, the same 8 rolls of 35mm have been in my fridge for the last 3 years. This is like, their 4th fridge.

Awesome photos.

I've also heard that Velvia was discontinued from production a couple years ago, but don't know if someone picked it back up and started making it since then.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
That is really cool. I had now idea that they had the ability to produce such quality color images back then. It's strange looking at such a high res image, in color, that came from that time frame.

Good to know Velvia is still around! Digital is soooo easy, but the darkroom is cooler in a geeky masochistic way. Its cool to see the image fade into being out of a blank piece of paper. That being said my darkroom kit cost <200 and any Digital SLR that peaks my interest cost <800. Also I priced it out one day and I figured that per 8 X 10, the B&W print done in the darkroom was cheaper than a color inkjet print, all chemicals/ink/paper considered. Time would be the only variable, time in the darkroom or on the computer. In a funny roundabout way, I guess I'm too poor/cheap for digital at this time; probably only because I already have the equip and knowledge for film.

For low quantity photography (not low quality!!! Well I guess that depends on the photographer) film is great.

However when you've got 1200 photos to sort, that is when Digital comes into play.

I went to an estate sale a year or so ago. Guy had an entire dark room in his basement. Forgot what they wanted for the entire rig but I was like, oooohhhhhhh.

You could get into 8x10, all brand new stuff (without developing equipment) for ~$1k. If you just take a few photos per year with it, then taking it to the local shop would be ok.

I shot with a 120mm camera once upon a time. I remember I had to drive 45 minutes to a shop that would develop it. That sucked.

Yeah, storing all the negatives and such becomes a burden when dealing with a large volume of photos. I picked up an old 120mm Ricoflex Twin Lens Reflex camera last year and worked a bit to fix it up. I haven't shot with it yet, but plan to some day. I have all the developing equip for it and an adapter for the enlarger, just got to find the time. One day . . .
Now that 8 X 10, is that glass plate/silver gelatin process?

Sorry Brooks for the HIjack, haha.

Wow, I had no idea we had other photographers on this forum! I have done some B&W Developing back in the day and really enjoyed it. But with the transition to digital i have a hard time to looking back. Its amazing that so much you learn from Film shooting applies to digital, and how lazy of a photographer i have become due to PS and LR . I may just have to go dig out my EOS 1N and go shoot something soon, 36 images at a time!