Possibly getting into Dual Sport Riding

Been spending too much time drooling over awesome rides over on ADVRider and I've been toying with the idea of getting into dual sport riding. I've no experience with motorcycles/dirt bikes as they were 'too dangerous' growing up and I wasn't allowed anywhere near them. Anyways, been doing reading on my own trying to make heads or tales of everything and I guess I'm leaning toward a 250cc bike of one of the typical makes (honda, kawi, suzuki). I want something that is able to take on dirt bike trails at an ORV park too if possible so I can practice bike handling skills. Any advice for a newbie on learning how to ride and bike selection? I have good mountain bike handling skills and love technical trails, but I know this will probably be completely different. Thanks for any insight.

my brother is currently selling his KLR650 that has a ton of mods done to it if you are interested. its no 250, but he has ridden it on most of the trails at uwharrie.

Why is he selling? I'm not in a position to buy at the moment, (have to sell a sailboat in Florida first) but what is he asking? I'm not sure if it would be too much bike or not, I dunno.

Why is he selling? I'm not in a position to buy at the moment, (have to sell a sailboat in Florida first) but what is he asking? I'm not sure if it would be too much bike or not, I dunno.
hes selling it because he is teaching english in South Korea. He was not able to ride it last year and he has decided to go back this year, so he wants to see it ridden not just sit and get old. One of his dual sport buddies kept it in his garage last year and rode it every couple of weeks just to keep it fresh. But it needs to be Ridden.

I think he was asking 3k

http://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/4099249884.html

Okay, great, thanks for the info. It may be a bit north of what I'm expecting to get from the boat, but we'll see. I'll definitely keep this in mind for when I'm ready to buy.