My XJ's Big Boy Stage

The Creeper Joint is now rebuildable as well. They are pretty tough, I have never had an issue. I can get you a good deal if your interested. Don't know how they compare to a Johnny Joint though these days price wise because they have gone up some.

The Creeper Joint is now rebuildable as well. They are pretty tough, I have never had an issue. I can get you a good deal if your interested. Don't know how they compare to a Johnny Joint though these days price wise because they have gone up some.
That is a thought. How well would a creeper joint do on everyday driving? Ive heard people running JJs all over on 100% road rigs with no problems but nothing about Creepers. I mean it wouldn't be a huge issue, I plan on having another DD soon but theres no telling how soon and I do still want to keep this Jeep street-able as much as I can

Well started cutting today.. Almost done with the passenger side. Just need to get a filler piece and re attach everything good.. Then will start on the driver side, I got a feeling that side will be a little more work with the filler neck being over there and all but we'll see. Im going to clean the up a little but not going to put too much effort into it because my armor will cover it all up anyway..

IMG_4704_zps72438343.jpg

IMG_4707_zps28bf1e1a.jpg

IMG_4709_zpsb33032a7.jpg

Got a lot of the welding done last night. All thats left on the passenger side is to burn the shock hoop in and armor. Will start on the driver side sometime today. Going to make a cardboard template of my armor today as well so I can take it to the fab shop to have that cut. Found out yesterday my taillight housings won't ship out till next thursday... :pissed: Hopefully going to have it drivable again by mid to the end of next week. Was able to get enough out of my driveshaft to get it to my buddy's shop last night to do the welding. Will most likely be pulling it out and taking to carolina driveline to get lengthened.

IMG_4711_zpsc053d94b.jpg

IMG_4713_zps980c420b.jpg

IMG_4715_zps64d80def.jpg

IMG_4716_zps7cb15cfd.jpg

IMG_4717_zpsac71cddd.jpg

Last edited:
Got the driver side done today.. Was a lot harder then the right side with the filler neck being there. Pretty much finished with the whole thing just a few bits and bobs to get done. Going to clean it up and seal all the holes up tmm and then monday or tuesday have my armor made and my driveshaft extended.

IMG_4722_zps7a6139ab.jpg

IMG_4723_zpsad55c606.jpg

IMG_4727_zpse952435a.jpg

IMG_4725_zpsab0bd628.jpg

IMG_4726_zps559002ee.jpg

IMG_4728_zps2cf06cb2.jpg

Got it back on all fours today. Going to make the armor template tomorrow morning and take it over to the fab shop so they can get started. Still needs a little bit of working to get perfect. So far the verdict is still out on if it turned out to my standards or not.. Won't really know that till I get the armor on and it lowered a bit. Here are the only pics from today...

IMG_4735_zps90bfe360.jpg

IMG_4736_zpsd167f1d6.jpg

IMG_4737_zps52c34550.jpg

IMG_4738_zpsc0b01854.jpg

Got the armor templates all made up yesterday and dropped them off at the fab shop.. Unfortunately there is no telling when they'll actually be done... Also got the rear bedlined. Will most likely put a modded form of the carpet back in to help cover up the shock holes. Dropped my rear driveshaft off at Carolina Driveline this morning as well. Hopefully they can just put a longer full spline slip on it to get the extra length.. That will be knocking out 3 birds with one stone. I have been wanting a solid slip on there any way, I need it lengthened and the slip on there now is locked up. But we'll see, they are suppose to be calling me later today on the final verdict..

IMG_4740_zps84eff4e5.jpg

It should be looking a lot better when I get the interior back together..
IMG_4745_zpsede465b4.jpg

Got the driveshaft back today. Luckily enough for me they were able to get the length I needed out of just installing a longer full spline slip. Got it installed and and put in some old Ranchos that came off an F250 to get it home. The bushings in those shocks are shot but other then that it did pretty well.. Took it and tried to flex it out to get some proper shock lengths but couldn't stuff the rear wheel any higher.. Got some measurements and ordered some that will work. Also got some of the interior back in. Looks a lot cleaner on the inside just need the armor to clean up the outside.

IMG_4756_zps9fe980d3.jpg

IMG_4757_zps64666c48.jpg

IMG_4758_zpsd17a6e1e.jpg

IMG_4760_zps8380c04f.jpg

IMG_4763_zps02de6e74.jpg

IMG_4766_zps0b2f0c0d.jpg

IMG_4768_zps762716a1.jpg

IMG_4771_zps6b80325d.jpg

IMG_4772_zps4be428ed.jpg

IMG_4775_zps71d4266c.jpg

Ok so its been a little while since I've updated last. Been waiting on the fab shop to get my armor done. I went and dropped the XJ off yesterday to get the shock hoops braced and to get my old shock mounts cut off. Went back today to check up on it and the brace was done and they had just started cutting my armor. They also were able to cut some axle straps for my new leaf pads. To act as a u-bolts and help stiffen up the leaf brackets on the axle tube. My shocks also came in too. So will be putting in a full days work tomorrow after classes. Try and get everything done before thursday night. Going down to Durhamtown friday!

IMG_4816_zps553f11ab.jpg

IMG_4819_zps958c88af.jpg

IMG_4825_zps151fb3a6.jpg

IMG_4827_zpse19272f1.jpg

IMG_4831_zps7a7ee49a.jpg

IMG_4833_zps4aaa3425.jpg

Ok so Im pretty much done with this project! My taillights come in tomorrow but I won't be here to get them. I'll probably get those on Saturday night or Sunday. Also will come up with a permeant cover for the holes for shock hoops and shocks to seal the inside up. Right now I just duct taped what I could lol. Also installed my pre 96 left side hand brake cable. With the stretch the factory one was too short so got a pre 96 cable and put it in. it was a little too long though had to cut the tip off and crimp and new one.. Works like a charm now.

IMG_4849_zps1c65acd4.jpg

IMG_4850_zpscfce86b4.jpg

IMG_4851_zpse19b1abd.jpg

IMG_4865_zpsb5dba694.jpg

IMG_4866_zpsc7a62230.jpg

IMG_4867_zps5f6975b6.jpg

IMG_4868_zps07298efa.jpg

IMG_4870_zpsa9d9c32a.jpg

IMG_4871_zps0f177449.jpg

Got back from Durhamtown today. Had a blast! Stretch did great and the shock hoops are night and day from the stock position!! So far I'm very pleased with it all. LED housings came in Friday night. Still don't have the LEDs so will install as soon as I do. Don't have many pictures this weekend. If I find any I'll post them up

IMG_4907_zpsbdd129e4.jpg

Ok so I know its been a little while since my last post.. Ran into some issues with the taillights since I got the housings. Well to start turns out the LEDs were not sent with the housings but from SuperbrightLEDs direct, so I had to wait on them for a few more days. When I received them almost a week later I went to wire everything up and they sent me the wrong connectors so had to call SuperbrightLEDs and have them send me the right ones.. Got them yesterday and started back at it. Got the driver side all hooked up and did a test before moving to the passenger side and everything worked. Get the passenger side hooked up and no brake lights, everything else worked except the brake. There was power being sent to the converter and the third was lighting up just no the LEDs. At that point I was fed up and quit with it for the night. Called the manufacture of the taillight converter I had and turns out it wouldn't work with LEDs. They gave me the part number to one that would work so ran out to the auto parts store and luckily they had one, grabbed it and finished it up.. FINALLY I get everything to work right and get it all back together, even replaced the flasher relay to one without the bulb out circuit, to stop the fast flash. Really happy with how they turned out. Also got my new left side axle shaft so hopefully can stop the leaking. I had nicked the one thats on there so cant keep it sealed. Plus now I have good spare. Probably going to stop for a little while now and start saving for the axle swap next spring. But we'll see.

IMG_4927_zps2c921ce0.jpg

IMG_4931_zps68656f1f.jpg

IMG_4942_zps6ed01588.jpg

IMG_4995_zpsf2e494bd.jpg

IMG_4996_zpsa94980a4.jpg

IMG_4997_zps320acb15.jpg

IMG_4948_zps485b2645.jpg

Well found a deal I couldn't pass up today. Really didn't want to buy it but would have beat myself up if I didn't. Dana 60 out of a 73 Dodge w200, 4.88s and Lockrite. I plan on having it converted to semi float and cut down to 65" wms to match the HP44. Probably won't touch it till the spring when Im more ready to take on another axle swap..

IMG_5027_zps1ca46a2a.jpg

Ordered my new springs today.. Should have them by the end of the week and on soon after that. Should be sitting around 5.5-5.75" of lift which is where I've wanted it since the beginning. Was over at the foothills and now have a new decision to make. I measured my 60 today and it measures out to around 65" WMS so it already matches my HP44. I can either convert the HP44 to 8 lug or convert the 60 to 5 lug. Converting the 44 to 8 lug will be the cheaper option since the 60 is already geared and locked. I'm just not sure I want 8 lug. If I convert the 60 to 5 lug I'd be using f150 8.8 rear brakes so would have a factory like working parking brake and discs.. I don't know still have a lot of thinking and saving todo. What do y'all think would be the better option?

Ordered my new springs today.. Should have them by the end of the week and on soon after that. Should be sitting around 5.5-5.75" of lift which is where I've wanted it since the beginning. Was over at the foothills and now have a new decision to make. I measured my 60 today and it measures out to around 65" WMS so it already matches my HP44. I can either convert the HP44 to 8 lug or convert the 60 to 5 lug. Converting the 44 to 8 lug will be the cheaper option since the 60 is already geared and locked. I'm just not sure I want 8 lug. If I convert the 60 to 5 lug I'd be using f150 8.8 rear brakes so would have a factory like working parking brake and discs.. I don't know still have a lot of thinking and saving todo. What do y'all think would be the better option?
you probably already thought of this, but I dont think the F150s came with 5 on 5.5 and disc brakes, I think the disc brake trucks were all the new bolt pattern. Its a simple fix by drilling the rotors, just mentioning it.

I would just convert the front to 8 lug.

you probably already thought of this, but I dont think the F150s came with 5 on 5.5 and disc brakes, I think the disc brake trucks were all the new bolt pattern. Its a simple fix by drilling the rotors, just mentioning it.
I actually haven't thought about that but Im probably just going to convert the HP44 to 8 lug. Just seems like the cheapest option right now.

Do you have a front axle already?
Yeah I have 2 HP44s. a weld on wedge housing and a complete cast.

Last edited:
New springs came yesterday.. Need to get a bushing kit. Should have them on this weekend! Still debating if I even mess with the front or not. Will see how it sits when I replace the springs and go from there.

IMG_5066_zpsd2de4338.jpg

Got the springs on today. They sit a little higher then I had hoped. Sits about the same as the old springs. Hope they will settle out some. Haven't really drove it around to really get a feel for them yet.

IMG_5110_zpscaef3e7d.jpg

IMG_5111_zpse7d1bf66.jpg