Sit on top Kayak

Im looking to get back into kayaking this spring and some other outdoor stuff I havent done in a while and i believe i want to try a sit on top unit this time. I currently have a perception Mr. Clean and im just too dern fat for it and I never could quite grasp the rolling thing. Anybody have any experience with a sit on top. It like to be able to paddle around some lighter grade rivers and some lakes. Would a sit on top be good for Nantahala and similar? I also would like to be able to picnic off of it and what not. Maybe even fish.

In my experience, as a fatty, they are much harder to stay balanced in. In the sit in's you can put your knees against the side as a brace to keep balance, where as the sit in you are using all core strength to keep your balance...I would def. rent one before you buy to make sure its what you want...

Im looking to get back into kayaking this spring and some other outdoor stuff I havent done in a while and i believe i want to try a sit on top unit this time. I currently have a perception Mr. Clean and im just too dern fat for it and I never could quite grasp the rolling thing. Anybody have any experience with a sit on top. It like to be able to paddle around some lighter grade rivers and some lakes. Would a sit on top be good for Nantahala and similar? I also would like to be able to picnic off of it and what not. Maybe even fish.
Im in the same boat as you. I never got the rolling thing down good enough and find myself wanting to kayak more still water then whitewater. Dick sporting goods has some pretty sweet deals on kayaks. Id like to get rid of my whitewater for a more rec boat.

yeah im not much for the rolling either. As far as the canoe goes that is a thought no doubt. a buddy of mines dad used to white water his canoe when we went kayaking it was awesome. ive got a buddy with a bigger sit in kayak im wanting to try here real soon and my brother has a canoe id like to try out. Anybody down for some paddling?

Go with a canoe for stability. A sit on top has no storage for fishing or anything hardly. A sit in you can get in a wider size, Perception would be the brand to talk to about that. Or for around $500 you can get a 10 or 12 foot coleman canoe that's the best all around.

if i go with a canoe, what would be some things to look for? good size? i would be hauling it on top of the fj more than likely. anyone know of a good used one?