SC
    I see.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by LBarr2002 View Post
    The trailer from the factory is 5x4.5, same as the jeep. The center bore of the Ravine is too small. If I go that route, I will machine 3 of the ravines I have to fit it, 2 on the trailer and the spare on the back of the jeep. That way the spare could be used on the jeep or the trailer.
    How much to small? It may be easier to machine the hubs down to fit a factory wheel. That way you are not stuck on what tire goes where. I know I always try to work my spare into the rotation so that the tread level matches on my vehicle. It isn't working on this suburban due to the stupid steel spare.

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by RClippa View Post
    How much to small? It may be easier to machine the hubs down to fit a factory wheel. That way you are not stuck on what tire goes where. I know I always try to work my spare into the rotation so that the tread level matches on my vehicle. It isn't working on this suburban due to the stupid steel spare.
    I'll have to look at it again. It wasn't much but probably too much to machine the hubs. I plan to run spacers too so that might make the fit easier.

As far as rotating spares, I always buy 4 tires and keep the worst of the old ones as spare. Current spare on the jeep is pretty rough, but it would get me home.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I had my trailer hubs off last night to service the bearings. I didn't get out the calipers or bore gauges, but it looked like I could chop a good bit out of the center. In all reality I am sure you are going to have to take it in somewhere to get the machine work done. Boring out a bare rim is easy. Turning down a hub is easy. A lot of mills won't be able to clamp a full tire and wheel. Mine will barely fit a 19.5" rim without the tire.

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Tripp and I got started on the next stage of mods on the Neon.

First, reminder of what it looked like stock:

Today we got the spring swap done. I changed from the stock slipper springs to a double eye, shackle set-up. The springs are a little softer and it should be a little smother on rough roads.

The springs are the same width and length as the stock slippers. I bought this kit:

I used the original front mounts and thought I was going to get away with using the back hole in the stock slipper spring box, but the width was wrong. I ended up cutting the slipper boxes off and used the shackle mounts from the kit. Northern Tool part number for the springs is:

We also mocked up the new wheels and tires and thought out the 3 axis hitch setup. I have to gather a few more parts during the week and I'll get back on it next weekend.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Greenwood
    State
    sc
    I'll be following this. Looking to do something similar to mine
    1992 Explorer Build with axles, tires, and bolts
    2007 Lexus GX470 with sliders, roof racks, and tires
    2005 LJ with low gears and poor fuel mileage

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    For the coupler, I'll be using the design from this thread:
    http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-65.html

I'm making some minor changes, but I'll say up front that it won't be under $50... Damn inflation.

I'm waiting on a set of 2" spacers to come in to hopefully be able to fit factory Ravines, fingers crossed.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Parts came in today so I couldn't resist a test fit.

I was originally trying to use a set of 1.25" spacers. They would have had to been bored to fit the trailer hubs, and the wheels would have had to be bored to fit the dust caps. Tripp offered to buy the 1.25" for when he does his 8.8 swap so I ordered 2". With the 2" spacers, everything fits perfectly with no modification to the wheels, which will allow me to run the Jeep spare in an emergency. There should be enough room between the back of the tire and the box, and it only increases the width 1.75" per side.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Aiken
    State
    SC
    I think it that was the best way. Now you can use any Jeep wheel available. Looks great. I saw that hitch you are interested in a few months back and I want to do the same thing. This will be a great setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by LBarr2002 View Post
    Parts came in today so I couldn't resist a test fit.

I was originally trying to use a set of 1.25" spacers. They would have had to been bored to fit the trailer hubs, and the wheels would have had to be bored to fit the dust caps. Tripp offered to buy the 1.25" for when he does his 8.8 swap so I ordered 2". With the 2" spacers, everything fits perfectly with no modification to the wheels, which will allow me to run the Jeep spare in an emergency. There should be enough room between the back of the tire and the box, and it only increases the width 1.75" per side.

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    I am done with wheels and tires.

Tripp and I spent a few hours Sunday building the coupler. Here's the major components before being welded into the 2" tube.

I need to weld the receiver tube to the trailer tongue, determine how long to cut the 2" piece, and weld the T in it, but that will have to wait a couple weekends.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast