Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Neon trail camper

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    looks good larry, Are you going to tow it this weekend with the jeep?
    --Brooks

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by 97TJGUZZY View Post
    looks good larry, Are you going to tow it this weekend with the jeep?
    Not sure. Probably will depend on weather.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Clinton
    State
    SC
    That little thing has brakes???

Sent from my Obama phone....

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by YJeeper View Post
    That little thing has brakes???

Sent from my Obama phone....
    Yep. All of this series (Evolution I think) had 5x4.5 pattern brake axles.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    I made the first real modification to the trailer tonight. Brooks was concerned about how low the stabilizer jacks hung under the frame. I did a quick search and Saveajacks (www.saveajack.com) showed up, and Camping World had them in stock. So, I removed the stock spring loaded fold down stabilizers and installed scissor type leveling jacks on Saveajack removable plates:

stock:

now:

The Saveajack has a top plate that mounts to the trailer frame, and a lower plate that attaches to the top of the jack. The plates slide together and attach with two clips. It allows the jacks to be removed while towing, but easily installed when setting up in camp.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    I feel a lot better dragging that thing over some trails now.
    --Brooks

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    I picked up some 31" BFG ATs for the camper, and I'm thinking about suspension mods... I need to find a set of stock Sami springs to test with, but I'm thinking about running stock sami springs in the front spring hangers and moving the rear mounts back however far they need to go. This will move the axle back (probably around 5") which will give it the tongue weight it needs, and make it a little easier to back up.

Looking for 2 Ravine wheels to match the Jeep and some Sami (or other 2" wide, short, soft) springs.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    I finally got around to putting a battery on the trailer. This trolling motor battery box (http://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-Troll...ta+battery+box) fits perfectly in the angle iron of the trailer tongue, like it was made for it. It has external posts with a 60 amp breaker and two cigarette lighter ports with I believe a 10 amp breaker. The trailer is set up from the factory with a long cable that is designed to plug into your tow vehicle's cigarette plug. For now, I'll plug that into the box but later I'll hard wire it in and add some more accessories inside the camper.

I've collected all the parts I need to lift it. I have new springs and swing shackles to eliminate the slipper springs. I got another set of Ravine's to use on the trailer, but they don't fit over the hubs. I'm undecided whether I want to machine them out to fit or use steel wheels. I'm going to try to get these mods done before the middle of next month.
    Last edited by LBarr2002; 10-07-2015 at 11:35 PM.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Aiken
    State
    SC
    If I understand right, you have switched to Jeep wheels. If you make the wheels for the trailer a custom design then you will need a separate spare. But if you change the hubs on the trailer to fit the Jeep you can use the same spare as the Jeep.
    Last edited by highpockets; 10-08-2015 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    If I understand right, you have switched to Jeep wheels. If you make the wheels for the trailer a custom design then you will need a separate spair. But if you change the hubs on the trailer to fit the Jeep you can use the same spair as the Jeep.
    The trailer from the factory is 5x4.5, same as the jeep. The center bore of the Ravine is too small. If I go that route, I will machine 3 of the ravines I have to fit it, 2 on the trailer and the spare on the back of the jeep. That way the spare could be used on the jeep or the trailer.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast